Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

I just got my front tire back on the wing and noticed a clear sound of the brake pads rubbing against the rotor. I have solid pressure on both the hand brakes and rear brakes. the right side brakes I had on the bike wore out after 4000 miles. is there an adjustment or should I put some anti-sieze on the pistons in the caliper to get them to move freely. I was able to get the pistons back flush with the caliper by using some pliers to push it back.

·
Premium Member
2000 GL1500SE
3,349 Posts
imported post

I would take the calipers apart and clean the pistons and bore really good. Also clean out the recessed area that the seal goes in to make sure the seal can go all the way down in it. These often get clogged with dirt and crud. Make sure the slider pins are clean and lubed so the caliper can float on the mount. This will likely clear up your sticking brake problem.

·
Premium Member
6,828 Posts
imported post

I would check the small return hole at the botton of the master cylinder reservoir. It is common to get a bit of crud in there and restrict the return flow of the fluid. That holds pressue against the brakes all the time. The fluid gets hot from the brakes and expands. The pressure builds more....and more...and more.

·
Premium Member
2000 GL1500SE
3,349 Posts
imported post

Good point Redwing. I forgot about that one.

·
Oh - THAT guy...
3,275 Posts
imported post

+1 on the return hole AND the caliper slider pins. (not the pad holding pins). The caliper pins can corrode and the caliper will not slide back/foat from the rotor after braking. One of mine was pretty corroded and I had this issue. Wore one pad real quick whilst the other was still pretty good.

·
Still Learning
13,274 Posts
imported post

jclax01 wrote:
I just got my front tire back on the wing and noticed a clear sound of the brake pads rubbing against the rotor.  I have solid pressure on both the hand brakes and rear brakes. the right side brakes I had on the bike wore out after 4000 miles. is there an adjustment or should I put some anti-sieze on the pistons in the caliper to get them to move freely. I was able to get the pistons back flush with the caliper by using some pliers to push it back.
No adjustment on disc brake system.
Has your brake fluid been changed yearly? If not, you will need to pull the master cylinders and calipers and totally clean them and rebuild if necessary. Yearly flushing of the Dot4 in the brakes and clutch prevents costly repairs. Your pads wearing out in 4000 miles is indicating lack of pm. The pistons need to be cleaned before pushing into calipers or they will stick. Also as mentioned the slider pins have to be cleaned sanded if necessary and silicone Brake lube applied to the pins.

·
Premium Member
320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
imported post

I pulled out the gunk that was once considered brake fluid. changed it out took off the caliper cleaned it out and finally freed up the pistons. One piston would not move until I worked on it. everything seems all good now. rode it around a little after juicing up the brakes and things are good WITH THE EXCEPTION of me breaking one of my reservior bolts.....its got one bolt holding it in and there is good pressure. Going over to a buddies shop to get the old bolt out (he has all the tools to do it). pretty much alls well ends well.

·
Oh - THAT guy...
3,275 Posts
imported post

Yay! We love happy endings. -sniff-

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.