Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
On a Wing & a KLR
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Checked my front brakes today and figure since I have the forks out I may go ahead an replace the pads. May be a season left on them but don't want to risk it on a trip. Inner pads are thinner than the outers.

Just wondering what folks are recommending?? EBC?? SBS?? OEM?

Hopefully this won't garner answers similar to an oil thread.

·
Registered
3,235 Posts
imported post

Last time round I used EBC... just cause that was what I could get quickly. I would have to say I have not been entirely satisfied.

Take that for what it's worth...

·
It aint rocket science
3,924 Posts
imported post

us385south wrote:
Last time round I used EBC... just cause that was what I could get quickly. I would have to say I have not been entirely satisfied.

Take that for what it's worth...
+1

I went with the cheapie EBC pads and they did not last very long. Since replacing with OEM the one thing I can say is stopping power is greater. :smiler:

JD

·
Lost on this *****
4,317 Posts
imported post

I have tryed both EBC and OEM,,,,,,,,,,,,,, I'll stick with the OEM

·
Oh - THAT guy...
3,253 Posts
imported post

I use OEM or the EBC close/equivalent. I like the OEM pads better as they were quieter and easier on the rotors.

·
Premium Member
49 Posts
imported post

Someone recommended EBC sintered (sp?) pads and rotors so that's what I bought to replace my worn rear brakes. Haven't installed them yet. Also replacing rear wheel bearing with All Balls brand bearings while I have it torn apart.:?

·
Still Learning
13,270 Posts
imported post

I like the EBC HH pads. I get much better stopping from them.

Pads eat up rotors when people just put them on w/o cleaning the pistons and cleaning the pins and lube them. As long as you clean up the pistons and caliper pins each time you shouldn't have the pads eat up the rotors.
Do it right and you will get good results.
Cheap out and you pay the piper.
:waving:

·
Just another ORF!
8,189 Posts
imported post

I prefer the OEM, as the 'organic' pads are junk and wear out very fast, with pretty poorstopping performanceIMHO.

If you go with EBCs, at least go with the HH EBCs.

As for your inner padswearing faster than the outer ones, pull/clean/grease the pins on your calipers, using some silicone brake grease on them before reassembly. Also clean all the grunge around the pistons. Reassemble everything, then bleed the system.

With the amount of miles I put on every year, I have to bleed my clutch and front brake at minimum on a yearly basis, so I bleedbothclutch and the entire brake systems yearly.I find replacing all the bleed screws witha full set (4)ofSPEED BLEEDERS, makes the job of bleeding the brake and clutch systems, an easy, one man job. :cooler:

Dusty

·
Premium Member
1,784 Posts
imported post

I'll go along whole heartedly with Dusty's comments... Put my speed bleeders on everything (including clutch( years ago and never looked back... Bleeding is a snap with speed bleeders...

I've been using EBC HH for the last few brake jobs - no complaints on my part and my rotors are fine on my 93 Aspy - all original...

I always polish my pistons and clean the rotors and clean and grease all the pins and moving parts - that is essential for properly functioning brakes especially on machines as old as mine...

Les

·
Premium Member
423 Posts
imported post

I used the ebc brand on my right side...I swore i put the pads on backwards...by the noise coming out of them. As they broke in...the noise got better, but is still there. They do stop good, but i dont think any better than the oem pads i took off. Next time oem for me.

·
Still Learning
13,270 Posts
imported post

There is a big difference between the plain EBC and the HH. Plain wear fast and don't stop as good as the HH pads. I have used OEM and still prefer the HH EBC for better stopping and longer wear. @ 21,000 miles on this set and I ride hard into the corners in the twisties and use the brakes, front most first then rear pedal to finalize. Mostly minimal use of the rear.
Ran the same on the 83 Aspencade also.

:action:

·
On a Wing & a KLR
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
imported post

Thanks for the responses. I figure I'll go with OEM. Scared to check on the price here with EBC at $43/set.

In regard to cleaning the pistons. Do you just pull those out of the caliper or leave them in and brush up what is exposed?

·
Just another ORF!
8,189 Posts
imported post

I press/pull in/on the pedal/lever a bit, to pop the pistons out a bit more than what they were when you removed them from the disk, then I pull the caliper apart to get at the pistons better. I'll use a parts brush and clean around them, while spraying them with non chlorinated brake cleaner (safer on the rubber bits) to remove the crud. I then use some fine wet/dry sandpaper to 'polish' up the pistons all around and spray them again.

If the seals look to be in questionable condition, remove them and the pistons and thoroughly clean both the pistons and piston bores with the fine W/D paper (400-600 grit) Spray everything down again and reassemble with new seals, making sure you keep everything very clean. Reassemble the caliper and press the pistons back into their bores far enough so you can get the new pads on over the disc. Make sure you grease the cleaned upcaliper pins, with brake grease. Fit the caliper(s) and wheelback on the bike and bleed system. If doing the rear, don't forget to start that process with the front left caliperon the 1500s, or the front right, on the 1200s

·
Just another ORF!
8,189 Posts
imported post

cbx4evr wrote:
Thanks for the responses. I figure I'll go with OEM. Scared to check on the price here with EBC at $43/set.

I believe they (my local 'stealer')charged me over $110 + taxes for two sets for the front, so I won't be using them again

Go with Cyclemax or Wingstuff if you are not in a big hurry to replace them, as their prices/shipping/HST/$5 brokerage fees work out cheaper and come right to your door.

Cheers, Ken

·
Premium Member
219 Posts
imported post

Hi Newday 777
I see you live in Oceanside, I live in Lake San Marcos.
I also have a white wing. 1998.
FYI
Steve

·
Registered
3,265 Posts
imported post

After reading all the replies it would be safe to sayOEM gets pretty much everyones vote. This is good to know as I will be doing my brakes over the winter. Buying a trailer this spring and want to make sure allbrakes are 100% prior to towing.

Just ordered 2 sets of oem front brake pads from cyclemax for $89.88 including shipping.

·
Oh - THAT guy...
3,253 Posts
imported post

Mother Honda did choose what they did for a reason...
(Though the aftermarket is also full of good stuff)

·
Premium Member
6,183 Posts
imported post

rpeters549 wrote:
And the aftermarket is also full of junk too..... Usually sold by a vendor who shall not be named...

This time OEM Honda pads are very, very close to EBC price range, so I've ordered some Honda ones...

·
Oh - THAT guy...
3,253 Posts
imported post

Silicon Sam wrote:
rpeters549 wrote:
And the aftermarket is also full of junk too..... Usually sold by a vendor who shall not be named...

This time OEM Honda pads are very, very close to EBC price range, so I've ordered some Honda ones...
VERY true!!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.