Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Well I pulled carbs cleaned reinstalled. Now I cant get over 80. When I hit about 50 she starts to stumble and picks up. Wide open I might hit 75ish. Alot of hesitating and stumbling. Where does the slides get the vacuum from to hold them open? It like its starving fuel at high speed.I dont know if I have a vacuum leak and the slides are not moving enough out of the way to allow more air which inturn would pull more fuel. I am out of ideas. Thank You and God Bless

·
Premium Member
427 Posts
imported post

When my bike had the same problem, I looked at the fuel pump and found it bad. This is just something for you may want to consider. I am sure there are many other obvious fuel related items to check such as filters, pump output and more.

·
Premium Member
2,801 Posts
imported post

Mine ended up being an extremely clogged filter. Simple stuff first.

·
Premium Member
1,790 Posts
imported post

It worked okay before you cleaned the carbs?

·
Premium Member
156 Posts
imported post

If you disassembled your carbs then your reassembly is not correct somewhere.

You will probably have to repull carbs and see what the prob is.

Of the top of my head my 1st two guesses are either floats not set right or

needles not clipped right.

Sliders could be binding and not opening fully.

Hard to tell really

·
Premium Member
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

What do you mean needles not clipped right? I just slid the small wire over the tangs. Also how do you get the valve seats off? I cant get a socket between the float columns? I am thinking the screens on the seats may be clogged and that would hinder enough fuel from being allowed into carb. But i can tget it off to see. Thanks

·
Premium Member
3 Posts
imported post

Whoops I meant to add that I use to have an 89 gl1500/6 and it had a huge flat spot and the dealer said it was common and covered by warranty. Is yours one of the older ones affected by this?

·
Premium Member
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
imported post

no the carb bowl gasket was leaking so I replaced then this started. but there was quite a bit of dirt in bottom of bowl. I also changed timing belt, oil change. I have them pulled now but want to take the seat out to check the screen but cant get to it.

·
Premium Member
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
imported post

mine is an 88 but it never had a flat spot befor ethis it would run like a bat. Also does anyone know the napa number for a 1500 fuel filter?

·
Premium Member
142 Posts
imported post

I had to grind down the sidewalls of a 10mm deep socket using my bench grinder to get the seats out.

Did you check the auto fuel valve? If its not opening up fully it could cause a fuel restriction. Easy to bypass temporarily just to test. Good luck & let us know how you make out.

Paul

·
Premium Member
156 Posts
imported post

If you took the needles out of the sliders you,ll see that the needle has groves on

it that the clip sits in.

Sometimes inadvertantly peole put the clips in the wrong groove.

But if you did not tear it down to this procedure than i wouldnt worry

about it.

·
Premium Member
156 Posts
imported post

Try to get your hands on one of those mini or small socket sets.

They are what i use to take them out

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.