Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Just put the carbs back in after rebuild. The vacuum sliders for the jet needles were not working. I figured the diaphragms had slipped upon reassembly. Pulled them and applied a gasket adhesive to help hold them in place and re-installed. The sliders work great! Gas is now pouring out a tube at the bottom of the bike. I'm thinking when I had the carb assembly on each side I must have dislodged one or both of the float needle valves. I reeeeeeealy don't want to tear them down again but it looks like no other alternative. Do you guys think I have it figured right as a float needle dislodged from tipping the carb assembly?

·
Premium Member
1,334 Posts
imported post

If aftermarket needles & seats were used, this could do what is happening...

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Just tipping the carbs shouldn't have caused the needle to leak. You can in desperation try tapping on the carb bowl lightly to jar the float a bit and see if that helps but odds are you'll have to pull it off and take a look.

·
Premium Member
54 Posts
imported post

You could try GENTLY tapping the bottom of the float bowl of the suspect carb. , I have gotten away with this trick before but if it doesn't stop draining you are going to have to remove that carb again and fix the problem. Good luck.

·
Premium Member
2,919 Posts
imported post

What a coincidence. I'm originally from Pittsburgh, have '95 carbs on my ('88) 1500, and just had the exact same problem.

Pull 'em again and either put Keihin needle and seats back in, or use your old ones - if you've still got 'em, and they test okay.

http://tinyurl.com/muaa73

. . . . . . sound familiar ?? Sorry, I know it's not the answer you wanted.

·
Premium Member
1,631 Posts
imported post

There's just nuthin' like experience!

·
Senior Guru
3,873 Posts
imported post

hi jim i had the same prob with after market float needles with the enging running pull the vacume hose off the pet **** and let the bowels drain until the enging is just about to die then reconnect it allowes the float to go down and come back up to reseal of corse if it keeps happening you will have to repull the carbs

·
Premium Member
636 Posts
imported post

Before you start pulling the carbs apart, check where that tubes goes to. It could be that your auto fuel valve has started to leak (Like mine did) and nothing to do with the carbs at all.

·
Premium Member
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
imported post

After looking at the 3 tubes on the right side the one that is appears to be leaking goes toward the back of the bike in the direction of the battery. I don't believe it goes to the battery. The auto fuel valve if I have it correct is at the top of the tank and it's tray drain goes off the left side of the bike. Does anybody know what that 3rd drain line be that goes rearward towards the battery? Don't have time to tear it down, have to go to work. Dying to know this one.

·
Premium Member
636 Posts
imported post

I'm not sure about the third line however the easiest way to check the auto fuel valve is to open the filler door. The valve should be to the front of the filler. Now start the bike. If it's leaking you should see it.

Good luck.

·
Premium Member
1,334 Posts
imported post

Wingnumberone wrote:
What a coincidence. I'm originally from Pittsburgh, have '95 carbs on my ('88) 1500, and just had the exact same problem.

Pull 'em again and either put Keihin needle and seats back in, or use your old ones - if you've still got 'em, and they test okay.

http://tinyurl.com/muaa73

. . . . . . sound familiar ?? Sorry, I know it's not the answer you wanted.
I just browsed back to that link and it brought back memories of trying to help.Now it is I that needs encouragemnt with my wing and the carb issues.

I was sure anyone offering me a dollar yesterday would have bought this wing..:(:D

·
Premium Member
1,334 Posts
imported post

Graham B wrote:
I'm not sure about the third line however the easiest way to check the auto fuel valve is to open the filler door. The valve should be to the front of the filler. Now start the bike. If it's leaking you should see it.

Good luck.
I also read about Graham B's fun he had with his GL1500.

Talk about endurance to find a problem related to carbs!:clapper::clapper::clapper:

Hey Mr. Graham! did the fuel shut off turn out to be the problem after removing the carbs that time you were chasing the issues?

·
Premium Member
636 Posts
imported post

Mr. Fix it wrote:
Hey Mr. Graham! did the fuel shut off turn out to be the problem after removing the carbs that time you were chasing the issues?
The auto valve was just one of the problems. Where the bike had been standing for so long it also suffered from bad tubing , sticky slides, dodgy ignition coil, blown sub air filter and some dodgy electrical connection problems.

She now runs and can be ridden but it still has an elusive hestitation coming off idle.

·
Premium Member
1,334 Posts
imported post

I am having fuel gremlins in my wing too and have found to date that running a higher octane than the regular helps out with the off idle issue although there is many who promote the 4 degree trigger wheel to cure this.

·
Premium Member
636 Posts
imported post

I think I've still got an ignition issue. The problem is that it won't go bad enough for me to find it. Mind you, a tankful of good stuff could be worth a try.

·
Premium Member
1,334 Posts
imported post

My wing pulling out into traffic almost put me down sinceI was commited to a left hand turn from a full stop.

Wife was on with me and I got so frustrated that I thumped the top tank with my fist once it straightened up:(

She wanted me to stop and let her off butI refused. and we got home, didn't speak a word for about 4 hours..

I am getting to the end of this bike's rope.:XI think I should have left the old engine intact with it's rotten vacuum lines and dodgy 4th gear. It ran perfectly!:?:?which was beyond me as to how it did..

As I commented either on this thread or another one here,a dollar would have bought this wing yesterday..:(

·
Premium Member
2,919 Posts
imported post

jmcarthy wrote:
After looking at the 3 tubes on the right side the one that is appears to be leaking goes toward the back of the bike in the direction of the battery. I don't believe it goes to the battery. The auto fuel valve if I have it correct is at the top of the tank and it's tray drain goes off the left side of the bike. Does anybody know what that 3rd drain line be that goes rearward towards the battery? Don't have time to tear it down, have to go to work. Dying to know this one.
The 3 tubes on the right side are:

1. battery overflow

2. bowl air vent - the one that's dumping gas

3. bowl drain

·
Premium Member
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
imported post

That is what I thought the three tubes would have been for but I didn't have the battery overflow hooked up and that one appeared to just drop straight down (no reason it should have been wet inside the tube). The bowl vent tube appears bone dry (inside the tube) and it cannot be the bowl drain. I just going to have to dig into and follow that hose after work tonight.

·
Premium Member
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
imported post

Wingnumberone you were so right 3rd tube does go to the battery. Guess I was hoping it would be a quick fix. I did put the old needle and float in and all seems well. Now to idle drop and balancing. Thank you all for your help!!

·
Premium Member
1,334 Posts
imported post

Mr. Fix it wrote:
My wing pulling out into traffic almost put me down sinceI was commited to a left hand turn from a full stop....

...,a dollar would have bought this wing yesterday..:(
Well it is interesting what a good tank of gas can do for the old wing.

I drained the regular gas out and filled up with premium and this is a new wing.:)once again.

I'm sure that there is a lean condition or something going on but for now, I am going to let this dog stay sleeping on the front porch.

I'm not goingto shoot myself in the foot by tinkering with it.:p

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.