Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I just wanted to make sureI am on track. If the carb slider vac diaphram has a small hole in it, would that cause the low speed hesitation?I have the cab apart and there isa small hole in one of them. Should I replace both?

Carbs are off a 1999 gl1500.

·
Premium Member
4,379 Posts
imported post

it would cause a vacuum leak which leads to very bad idle, unsmooth ride and hesitation. if those got damaged by age it would be smart to change both as the older one would get the same soon

·
Premium Member
596 Posts
imported post

i also found one on mine with a small split in it make sure you get the right ones for your carb set

·
Premium Member
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

Do they have to be fitted to the carb?

·
Senior Guru
3,873 Posts
imported post

its to make sure you get the right year and model as honda fitted a few carbs with differant specs

·
Premium Member
1,437 Posts
imported post

...would that cause the low speed hesitation?...
I would say no for a low speed hesitation. If anything, the lack of vacuum would prevent the slider from opening. If it does not open, it would run richer like a choke. A lean mixture would cause a hesitation.

But, like William_86said at idle, it can lean the mixture and cause off idle hesitation. At some point past idle, the engine will transition between the idle circuit to the main jets. A lot of carbs will transition around 1,500 rpms.

Should I replace both?
If it has a hole in it, yes. Dig deep $$$. Your bike is only 10 years old, and you probably could use RTV as a test. But, for the time and effort, you may want toreplace them.

The diaphragmis not a spring. Vacuum willaffect thethe force by surface area to overcome that many coils of the spring.

·
Premium Member
1,437 Posts
imported post

When you re-install the top cap cover over the diaphragm, make sure you lineup the detent/recess on the coverover the small oriface as seen from the gasket. Otherwise, the coverwill block the hole.

·
Premium Member
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
imported post

Thanks i bought 2 new sliders for 89.00 each.

My bike is a 1988 but the carbs are a off a 1999. The bike runs fine but it does have a small hesition when you slow for a curve or just slow down and the rpm's drop below 2000 it has a small hesitation. I installed the 4deg wheel and it got 90% better. I thought the newer generation carbs would take out the hesitaion 100%.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.