Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I recently had my carbs rebuilt and synced.I've been riding the bike about a month when i noticed the idle is irractic below 2000 rpms. pulled the airfilter(fine) checked plugs,

andgas fouled on right side only. the left side looked great. checked continuity of plug wire and coil packs and they are within specs. while checking for cracked or not connected vacuum hoses noticed that when i covered the Right carb the bike never changed in how it was running(crappy). when i covered the left side the bike stalled. what could cause the bike not to draw in any air on the Right side? everything appears to be connected.

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
imported post

Maybe have an air leak at the Rubber Boot, that connects the carb body to the intake manifold.... could check by spraying some starter fluid around the boot, while the engine is running, and seeing if the idle speed goes up, indicating a vacuum leak.

Those boots are easy to mis-install... they also harden over time, making them harder to seal.

I'd suggest Pulling the carb, putting a thin layer of Air Filter Grease on the boots, then re-installing, verifying they are properly seated.

http://www.amazon.com/99-0704-Sealing-Grease-6oz/dp/B000BR51SI

·
Anti-Guru
2,711 Posts
imported post

Have you checked the carb balance? Could be that the sync is waaay off and you're idling on your left carb (pulling next to nothing through a closed- right carb).

If these are as far-off as they sound, you should be able to measure quite easily with a single vacuum gauge and compare thevalues from each of the two intakes.

·
Premium Member
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

the sliders are opening to the response of the throttle. I can also see the butterfly opening below the sliders

·
Premium Member
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

thanks guys, for the quick response!Alex,my next step is to get out the starter fluid and see what i can come up with.I'm gonna shut it down for tonight and will post findings tomorrow.

·
It aint rocket science
3,942 Posts
imported post

The right side is running way too rich, wet plugs are telling you that. That is why you get no change when covering carb. You gotta go back into that carb and figure out why. First guess would be the float level. Higher RPM's will make it appear smoother because it can suck up more of the excess fuel.

JD

·
Premium Member
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
imported post

got out the starter fluid,only after spending several minutes trying to get the motor to level off a bit. between the rpm swings (300-400) did notice a spike in the rpm's when i got the starter fluid around the rubber boot on the right carb.guess i'm going in! :-( quite sure i will be calling on you guys for some guidance.will keep you all posted. Thanks

·
Premium Member
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
imported post

Happy camper!

Thanks for all the help guys! Satan... your suggestion was right on! My FORMER MECHANIC did a poor job at my carb rebuild. my carbs was so unbalanced that when i accessed the adjusting screw my Bro and i noticed that the addjusting screw was screwed in tight that it cutt-off the right carb from getting anyair!we hooked up the sync kit played with the balance until itfell out about 12hg on both carbs now its running better than it did when i bought the bike. the initial reading on the syncwas 5hg on the right and 14hg on the left.dont know what my Mech. was doing! but i do know what he wont be doing(work for me).thanks again for all of you guys experience.

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
60,205 Posts
imported post

I think I would visit that "mechanic" again and ask him just "WTH" he was thinking? And say, "sorry charlie" but you don't get any more of my business.

But, it might not be worth that pound of vengeance.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.