Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey folks! I'm working on a GL1500 carb set. There are 2 small breather tubes that come off the bottom of the carbs into a "Y" fitting. SOMEBODY (not me!) has worked on these before, and broke the nipple off the float bowl and sealed the hole with (dare I say it?) JB WELD! :lash: Arrgh. I have 2 questions: Does it matter (I suspect it does) to the running of the bike and (2) does anybody happen to have a spare on hanging around I could buy.
Thanks.

Scott Austin

·
Premium Member
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Your correct, Gaswing. They're the overflow vents. I just don't know if they're necessary for propper running. The hell of it is, I've worked on the carbs on this bike in the past, 2 years ago. The customer brought it in saying the bike was running poorly. Upon pulling them off, I discovered the broken item. Knowing I wouldn't have done something like that, called the customer. After some in-your-face questions, turns out he's had some other clown work on it. I'm NOT happy. I'll do the job, but he'll need a new mechanic in the future.

·
Premium Member
79 Posts
Whoa, there, Scott. Many times a customer may go somewhere else because they believe it will be cheaper, or they have coffee with someone's brother, or go to church with someone who says they can handle it. By coming back to you, he's saying you did it better. I admit I wasn't privy to the conversation and I don't know how much he tried to hide it, but unless he was trying to get you to do it for free because you worked on it two years ago, take a deep breath, and provide calm, professional, BETTER service than the other guy.

Now for your question, I can't remember if there is a separate bowl vent, but if not, then yes, it could affect the running of the bike. The engine is sucking fuel out of the bowl, but something has to replace that fuel. Having said that, the only ones I remember on the bowl itself are the drains, which would not be necessary to running properly. It's been a while since I had a set out, though.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Hey folks! I'm working on a GL1500 carb set. There are 2 small breather tubes that come off the bottom of the carbs into a "Y" fitting. SOMEBODY (not me!) has worked on these before, and broke the nipple off the float bowl and sealed the hole with (dare I say it?) JB WELD! :lash: Arrgh. I have 2 questions: Does it matter (I suspect it does) to the running of the bike and (2) does anybody happen to have a spare on hanging around I could buy.
Thanks.

Scott Austin
If the other one is connected to nipple that the carb drain screw opens then they are the carb drains which wouldn't affect running unless the carb bowls are full water and now you can't drain them.

·
Premium Member
2,295 Posts
Scott,

I realize that this post is a few days old (been on a very wet camping trip on the bike) but I will answer too with some pictures so that it will maybe help someone else in the future.

There are two “Y” fitting you may be talking about.

One is the bowl drain tubes. See the first picture. Sure nice to have working but I don’t think it has to be there during regular operation of the carbs.

However, the second picture will show the “vent” tubes coming from the carbs to a “BOX” fitting. These can’t be blocked. It keeps the bowls at atmospheric pressure and these are a must. Blocking one of these will allow air to be TRAPPED in that particular bowl and be pressurized. Eventually the carbs start to get gulps of air instead of fuel because the bowls are not filling up properly.

Tim.

Attachments

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.