Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Guys,
I just started up my 1500 today after 6 months left up during winter. I note from my fitted voltmeter though that it is just going up to between 8.5 to about 9.5 volts. I wonder if the alternator brushes have stuck over the lay up or is the battery toast? It did turn over quite a while before it started but it did start on it's own battery. I let it idle for several minutes and turned it off and it started again no problem. I didn't bother to ride the bike and just put it away again for now as it begun to rain as it always does here! Any ideas?
Gerry.

·
Just another ORF!
8,189 Posts
imported post

Next time you go to start the poor neglected thing, take off the left engine cover, then try to start the bike again. When(if) you get it running, if you have a rubber mallet, give the alternator a few light taps on it's side with it, in order to see if that will knock any brush dust loose off of the alternator brushes inside while it's spinning over.

I'd also keep the revs up above 2,000 to see if the charging current rises any.

If it still reads low, pull it and take it to a rebuilder to do a bench test/rebuild.

You really should have that battery hooked up to a battery tender when it's sitting for long periods like that.

·
Premium Member
6,828 Posts
imported post

If the bike started with the battery and no jump start you surely have more than 12 volts at the battery. I would look at the voltmeter and associated hookup. Check the battery with a handheld voltmeter to bbe sure but my bet is battery voltage is much greater than the value you onboard meter is reading.

·
Premium Member
1,039 Posts
imported post

Relax ., playing with cold batteries and alts. will give many false readings . As it did start , you are ok .
Take care of the battery and check it before you try to use it . Do the tap thing on the starter as Dusty describes and try to blow the dust out with comp.air if you have it .
Remember that the alt. will only show charging voltage after 2000 rpm.

·
Premium Member
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

Aw thanks a million guys but I found the problem. The 'cheapo' China volt gauge I had fitted a year ago was faulty and when I checked with my multimeter I found it was charging perfectly. I will now fit a new voltmeter. Thanks again.
Regards;
Gerry.

·
Still Learning
13,270 Posts
imported post

:claps:

·
Premium Member
1,061 Posts
imported post

connemaragerry wrote:
Aw thanks a million guys but I found the problem. The 'cheapo' China volt gauge I had fitted a year ago was faulty and when I checked with my multimeter I found it was charging perfectly. I will now fit a new voltmeter. Thanks again.
Regards;
Gerry.
That was going to be my suggestion as well.
The PO had installed a Air Rider gear and volt indicator that always showed correctly but for some reason there was another cheapo on it as well.
Most of the time they were about the same, but one time in the rain the cheapo sort of gave it up, least ways after I did a rip and throw in Wyoming where it lays to this date.
Don't always trust one meter, get a second opinion.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.