Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
It aint rocket science
3,970 Posts
imported post

My stock 88 will idle all day long at 14.0V with no fans on. Above 2k RPM should be charging at 13.6-14.2V. If less than 13.6V you got problems.

JD

·
It aint rocket science
3,970 Posts
imported post

Waldorf wrote
That's exactly the same results my stock alternator did. Perfectly normal. I now have a Compufire alternator fitted and if you drop the idle down to 750 rpm or less then that will also cease charging. Crank it up to 850 rpm or more and it's charging good again. Every alternator has a charging/rpm cut off point, three guesses what our alternators are? ;)

Regards, Tony.
Curious if you have owned the bike since new and it was showing this behavior. At what mileage was it replaced? Did not the dealer replace it under warranty.

JD

·
It aint rocket science
3,970 Posts
imported post

Well , if you do not want to discuss it I will have to make a couple of assumptions. And that would be you got one of the failed Chinese alternators and it was out of warranty or was bought used with a bad alternator.

Either way Honda did not design an alternator to not charge at idle with their 40A alternators which is more than powerful enough to keep the battery charged if working correctly. It is not normal, sub standard parts are to blame.:smiler:

JD

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.