Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Premium Member
354 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Does anyone know how to center a 1500 (without putting it on the centerstand) enough so I can get an accurate reading when checking the oil? I don't even wish to consider putting it on the centerstand as I have tried that numerous times without success.

If I prop a piece of wood under the side stand until it's center, I'm just afraid it may tip.

Thank you

·
Premium Member
427 Posts
imported post

You really want the bike on the center stand for checking the oil level. Many on this forum will have tips for putting the bike on the center stand. My suggestion is to have have someone help you check the oil level while on the center stand, make sure the oil level is correct, then put the bike on the side stand, recheck the oil level, and mark the stick with a light saw mark, or scratch, at the current oil level; if the oil level will show on the stick.

·
Premium Member
763 Posts
imported post

I can understand your worries at trying to put your Wing on the centrestand as I had exactly the same problem, some 9 years ago now. Take it from me, and no doubt many other GL1500 owners that its a matter of "knack" (technique). Get a strong friend to help you the first couple of times just in case it goes wrong. Standing on the side stand side grasp the seat handle with your right hand and bars with your left hand. Get the other person to stand on the other side and take the same grip. With your right foot gently lower the centre stand to the floor and centre the Wing (you can keep the side stand down) untill you feel both sides of the centre stand in contact with the floor. Then with pressure on the stand with your foot and a quick "yuk" backwards and upwards with the handle and the bars should see the Wing resting safely on it's centre stand. A stiff centre stand (happens if not lubricated) or and usually low rear end can make things harder but you should try it .

I always sit aside mine to get it off the centre stand but some dont like that for fear of damaging the stand. Been alright for me for the past 9 years

·
Loyal member
276 Posts
imported post

Put a 1by4 on the floor then roll the bike(rear wheel)up onto it then put your center stand down with ease.A one person job!

·
Premium Member
560 Posts
imported post

Here is a way that won't require you to put the bike on the center stand everytime you check the oil, but you will have to get it on thecenter stand once.

1. Get the bike on the center stand and check/fill the oil to the required spec.

2. Take the bike off the center stand and onto the side stand.

3. Wipe the oil from the dipstick and check the oil.

4. Scribe a mark on the dipstick where the oil level is; this is now your full mark when the bike is on the side stand.

I hope this helps.

·
Premium Member
165 Posts
imported post

Have a friend help you put it on its stand, you do the work he just spots you. Once you have done it a few times it is easy. I start with the side stand down, push down on the center stand with foot till bike is straight up, pull on grab bar with right hand and push down on center stand at the same time. I like to keeb my bike stored on center stand because it prevents oil from seeping into the left bank of cylinders. Good luck

·
Premium Member
815 Posts
imported post

Use your body weight by stepping on stand, do not try to lift bike with hand (well only a little is needed). Rock and roll back.

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
imported post

Robin wrote:
Use your body weight by stepping on stand, do not try to lift bike with hand (well only a little is needed). Rock and roll back.
> Ditto, except that I also use my hand on to pull up on the left side passenger rail... It's my body weight however, that does most all the work... Pretty easy overall!

SUPER BIG HINT: Grease the centerstand, and the bike goes up a whole lot easier!!!

·
Oh - THAT guy...
3,258 Posts
imported post

I am 42 YO and weigh a massive 154 ppounds at 5'10". The 1500 is easier to get on the center stand than ANY earlier model. Stand on the side-stand side with the bike on it. Left hand on the handle grip, right hand on the seat handle. Right foot on the piece of side stand that sticks out a bit right under the passenger floorboard. Push down with right foot until contact is made. Push bike close to center while putting weight on right foot. When you feel the other side of the center stand touch stand on right foot only (or just about) while lifting up on the seat handle. Actually works very easy if you are on level ground. It was surprising as I had a hard time getting my old 1100 on the center stand without runing the rear tire up on a thin board first.

·
Premium Member
3,318 Posts
imported post

rpeters549 wrote:
I am 42 YO and weigh a massive 154 ppounds at 5'10". The 1500 is easier to get on the center stand than ANY earlier model. Stand on the side-stand side with the bike on it. Left hand on the handle grip, right hand on the seat handle. Right foot on the piece of side stand that sticks out a bit right under the passenger floorboard. Push down with right foot until contact is made. Push bike close to center while putting weight on right foot. When you feel the other side of the center stand touch, stand on right foot only (or just about) while lifting up on the seat handle. Actually works very easy if you are on level ground. It was surprising as I had a hard time getting my old 1100 on the center stand without runing the rear tire up on a thin board first.
This is how I do it also. My 1500 goes on the center stand easier than any of the previous Goldwings I have ever owned (1000, 1100,& 1200). Just get it centered up on the stand then pull a little on the seat handle while putting most or all your weight on the center stand lever. Mine comes right up on the stand that way. It will come up easier if you put the back tire on a 1x4 first. Makes it easier until you get the hang of it.

·
Oh - THAT guy...
3,258 Posts
imported post

I was a little nervous the first time in 2005 when I bought it. The first time I did it it actually slid a little backwards because I tried so hard. It can be intimidating at first, but surprising how easy once done.
Again though, I am a pretty massive fellow. :smiler:

·
Premium Member
354 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
imported post

When u wash your wing, do u do it at a car wash? That's how I washed my 1200 all the time for 3 yrs with no problem. Now I read in the 1500 manual I shud avoid getting ignition, instrument panel, & other gauges wet (like I did my 1200). Or shud I spray silicone on them 1st?

·
Premium Member
1,250 Posts
imported post

You can adjust the resting height of a 1500 a great deal with the air pre-load of the rear shocks. If you set the pressure up before you get off the bike it will be easier to put on center stand.

·
Premium Member
1,837 Posts
imported post

Hey happier
I have had my 1500 a grand total of a week now. It does seem way more massive than my 1000 or 1100 ,
As for putting it up on the sidestand I was bit intimatated by it's size but after I tried it I have to agree with everyone here it is by far way easier than any other wing I have tried. And I mean way easier. Honda must have heard the winning about putting the wings up on center stand because they did an amazing job on the 1500 centerstand. Now the side stand on the 1500 makes me a little neveous
Wilf

·
Premium Member
17 Posts
imported post

If you do not put on the centerstand. How do you check the rear tire? It realy is the easest wing to put on the stand.

·
Banned
1,176 Posts
imported post

I check mine when the oil light comes on. How often do you check you car oil? That's why they put the light there just like the low fuel light. I always watch where I park my bke and if oil is there that wasn't there when I got there, I keep an eye on the light. Never had that happen though. How often do you think you should be checking it?

·
Premium Member
250 Posts
imported post

Bellboy40 wrote:
rpeters549 wrote:
I am 42 YO and weigh a massive 154 ppounds at 5'10". The 1500 is easier to get on the center stand than ANY earlier model. Stand on the side-stand side with the bike on it. Left hand on the handle grip, right hand on the seat handle. Right foot on the piece of side stand that sticks out a bit right under the passenger floorboard. Push down with right foot until contact is made. Push bike close to center while putting weight on right foot. When you feel the other side of the center stand touch, stand on right foot only (or just about) while lifting up on the seat handle. Actually works very easy if you are on level ground. It was surprising as I had a hard time getting my old 1100 on the center stand without runing the rear tire up on a thin board first.
This is how I do it also. My 1500 goes on the center stand easier than any of the previous Goldwings I have ever owned (1000, 1100,& 1200). Just get it centered up on the stand then pull a little on the seat handle while putting most or all your weight on the center stand lever. Mine comes right up on the stand that way. It will come up easier if you put the back tire on a 1x4 first. Makes it easier until you get the hang of it.
I will add that if you lean into the bike slightly it helps center your weight over the stand. If you're correctly on 4 points at that moment, it will not tip over.

I have to say my 1500 goes on the center stand way easier than my '81 GL500 Silverwing ever did. I can still do it with little effort with my new CT which is about 3/4" lower (shorter?)than the standard MT.

·
Junior Grue
8,153 Posts
imported post

On my 1200 I just run it for a minute then climb on and balance the bike, pull, wipe and dip the stick. I don't know where the 1500 stick is though.:waving:

·
Premium Member
1,837 Posts
imported post

On my 1500 the stick is behind 2 pieces of tupperware!!
Real pain in the a$$ to get to. With the tupperware off the stick is right there to check sitting on the bike like Ken say's. Shure whish it has a sight window like the 1000 and 1100 do.
Wilf

·
Premium Member
616 Posts
imported post

happer wrote:
When u wash your wing, do u do it at a car wash? That's how I washed my 1200 all the time for 3 yrs with no problem. Now I read in the 1500 manual I shud avoid getting ignition, instrument panel, & other gauges wet (like I did my 1200). Or shud I spray silicone on them 1st?

Happer - I mostly hand wash my bike using a bucket of soapy water anda sponge, and then rinse it off with a hose. I avoid hosing the dash area down. Pressure washes normally use over 1000 PSI - they can literally damage things if you're not careful. Particularly avoid wheel bearing areas. No need to use silicone spray on anything. Avoid overlycorrosive soaps tho. I bought a big jug of car wash soap on sale from Cdn Tire - has lasted me a very long time!

1 - 20 of 41 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.