Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

When set. Turning off key loses the correct time. Also the radio won't hold it's stations when the key is turned off. Battery starts bike right up.
Haven't had time to check fuse yet. Live in Cincinnati. It's a 25th year
Edition. 130000 miles.

Just checked the fuse. It appears to be good. Not blown.

·
Premium Member
2,221 Posts
imported post

There is a 5amp fuse in the fuse box that controls the presets.....I think it is number 11 in the box.....(working from memory here though....LOL.

Check and replace the blade fuse.....

·
Premium Member
1,137 Posts
imported post

My clock does about the same thing. It will keep time until I turn off the engine. Then upon restart it will be off by about 2 hours. I reset it & good to go until the engine gets shut off again.

·
Still Learning
13,274 Posts
imported post

rhernest
Where are you located? You don't have that on your profile?
Is your battery on its way out?
What year is your bike?

96 & 97s had a problem of the circuit boards to the LCD screens, they were soldered and the flux was not cleaned so the collect moisture and the clock whacks out and the other functions on the LCD go out too. I've seen the tape arrows flash both at the same time, as well as loose the stations presets. There are posts on it. Let us know what year yours is and it can be found with the forum search bar.

·
Pwhoever
3,359 Posts
imported post

rhernest wrote:
When set. Turning off key loses the correct time. Also the radio won't hold it's stations when the key is turned off.
Bameagle is on the right track. However that 5 amp fuse that needs to be looked at is actually in the RELAY box to the right of the fuse box and all the way below the last relay on the left side of the box. It is the memory for both the clock and the radio presets.

·
Pwhoever
3,359 Posts
imported post

Redeye1620 wrote:
My clock does about the same thing. It will keep time until I turn off the engine. Then upon restart it will be off by about 2 hours. I reset it & good to go until the engine gets shut off again.
The 96-97 clock issue will show up only during damp conditions including high humidity. It will show up as the clock running fast, the LCD will stay active after the bike is shut off, or the LCD is blank upon turning the bike on and comes on after driving down the road for a few miles. Your description doesn't seem to fit withany of these so I don't think it is the defective LCD. And since you say that it ends up being appx 2 hours behind and didn't mention the radio presets being gone when turning the bike on, it doesn't sound like the fuse either. It doesn't reset back at 12:00 does it? My guess would point towards the battery. How old is it and do you have any issues with hard starting?

·
Premium Member
555 Posts
imported post

Look were your fuse are. The fuse that you are looking for is behind the left saddle bag were the relays are. You may have to take the saddle bag off or unbolt the fuse box and wiggle it out till you can get to the relay side of it. It's a 5 amp fuse inside with the relays.

Hickey

·
Premium Member
1,137 Posts
imported post

pwhoever wrote:
Redeye1620 wrote:
The 96-97 clock issue will show up only during damp conditions including high humidity. It will show up as the clock running fast, the LCD will stay active after the bike is shut off, or the LCD is blank upon turning the bike on and comes on after driving down the road for a few miles. Your description doesn't seem to fit withany of these so I don't think it is the defective LCD. And since you say that it ends up being appx 2 hours behind and didn't mention the radio presets being gone when turning the bike on, it doesn't sound like the fuse either. It doesn't reset back at 12:00 does it? My guess would point towards the battery. How old is it and do you have any issues with hard starting?
I keep the bike covered in a my garage so dampness or high humidity is not an issue here in Northern California. The LCD screen comes on with the key being turned on. I will check the loss or gained time on my ride today. Maybe it is gaining 10 hours instead of losing 2 hours, who knows. The issue had been the same since I bought the bike in July of 2009. The battery was new AGM in July of 2011. I don't have any issues with starting. Fires right up....-Rich

·
Still Learning
13,274 Posts
imported post

Depends on where it was from. I had to fix a friend's new to him 96 that he bought from a dealer in Palm Desert that it had the problem as it was a bike from Washington state.
What year is yours?

·
Premium Member
1,137 Posts
imported post

newday777 wrote:
Depends on where it was from. I had to fix a friend's new to him 96 that he bought from a dealer in Palm Desert that it had the problem as it was a bike from Washington state.
What year is yours?
Mine is a 1997, with a July 1996 build date. I bought it from a dealer in Phoenix AZ. The bike came from an owner who lived in Ridgecrest Ca. All desert environments.

Update, The clock kept perfect time today all day. The only change I made was a new alternator. Maybe that was the source of my problem. The old alt was not keeping the battery fully charged. Going back out tomorrow for another 200 miles. I hope that problem is solved....-Rich

·
Still Learning
13,274 Posts
imported post

That could be it Rich. Have a great ride, I'm down till my new water pump comes next week.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.