Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After installing the new friction discs an plated. Torqued the center nut to 98ft lbs, now my question on the spiral rod with a circular disk on top, does it go thru the plate with tab on top or under the plate either way I cannot pull clutch lever. At all with tab on top and about 3/4 of the way under. Thanks it's been a long time.

·
Administrator
26,564 Posts
Reactions: CrystalPistol

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Did you align the marks properly? Does the lever get stuck solid or is it like there is nothing there? Do you have a Honda manual?

View attachment 322972
Yes have a factory service manual that just says reinstall. 97 SE. Thanks for the replies. The pic of spiral shaft does not have the flat disk on top. On the Mark's pretty sure got it right the plate only had 2 black marks on it. With the disc on top of plate lever would not move, with disc under will move 3/4 way down then lock. Have not started bike yet waiting for rubber dampers for alt.

·
Premium Member
6,828 Posts
Yes have a factory service manual that just says reinstall. 97 SE. Thanks for the replies. The pic of spiral shaft does not have the flat disk on top. On the Mark's pretty sure got it right the plate only had 2 black marks on it. With the disc on top of plate lever would not move, with disc under will move 3/4 way down then lock. Have not started bike yet waiting for rubber dampers for alt.
I would say don't start it until the issue is resolved.

Seems every one is confused by your descriptions. When you mention a part a picture might be very helpful. I looked through the parts diagram and really couldn't see any"disk" in the parts breakdown. The only small part I could find was the snap ring that holds the clutch pack together.

By my bad memory only the part I posted the picture of will slide through the lifter plate bearing. The shoulder of the pictured part should come directly against the bearing. Then the rod should go with one end in the pistured part and eventually the other end of the rod will go in the slave cylinder. When you pull the clutch lever the slave cylinder pushes the rod which in turn pushes the pictured part in. The shoulder of the pictured part is against the bearing directly so the bearing and plate are pushed in. This pushes the pressure plate in to the spring compressing the spring and creating room between the clutch plated for the to free up.

Just to be sure I will post a picture of the snap ring that should hold the clutch pack and clutch spring together.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok fellas I guess this one stumped ya'll. The rod with the disc on it goes thru the bearing on the flex plate dick on top. I removed the whole thing today and found I was one tooth off one the 3 circles alignment and now I have a working clutch. So 97 98 up Gw have dirrerant fuel pumps and clutch rods. Anything else ya'll run across.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
There are 3 Mark's that must be in perfect alignment one on each part of the clutch housing half and then the spring disk. They are small circles. Then on the clutch rod for this year there is a disk shaped end that goes on top as it slides thru the flex plate. Wish I had pics, sorry i do not.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts