Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Mechanics. Our wing is ready for the long hauls and I have heard so much about the weak original I am installing a voltmeter to monitor the alternator voltage. If, or when, it goes, what is the best replacement?

I appreciate all opinions/recommendations:waving:

·
Premium Member
1,061 Posts
Member of this forum does excellent work and has both hi-output and standards available.
I bought from him about a year ago and was very happy with the speed in which it arrived and the quality of the work.
And I'm not a paid spokesperson, just a happy customer.

http://myplace.frontier.com/~hemi-roid/

FWIW

·
Monkey with a Football
19,237 Posts
I always had dependable service from my Compufire alt and battery. Don't think I would change away from it even if I did have a problem with it. Anything mechanical can fail now and then.

·
Token Canuk
8,236 Posts
Yep, I agree with Rudy never had an issue with the Compufire. :claps:

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks partners! No problems yet so away we go!

·
Still a winger at heart.
20,868 Posts

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
It might be a good idea to get a new alternator or at least pull yours and replace the bearings since the late model 1500s had a bit more problem with the bearings than the original ones. May as well to with Compufire if you're going to change the alternator. Be sure to get new rubber isolators that go between the drive and driven flanges, they get hard and noisy with time and heat. The only thing about a Compufire is that you'll need to twist and turn it a good bit to get it into the hole where it goes. The standard alternator is bad enough to wiggle in and out. That being said it really isn't much more than a few minutes to take one out and put another back in. You might need to change to a higher capacity battery if you put in a Compufire to prevent overheating due to the higher charge rate.

·
Magic Moderator
4,860 Posts
My GL1500 had the Compufire package on it and it was a good investment in knowing that you have power to spare.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.