Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,390 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I have a set of boards on my bike right now but they do scrape in the turns. Where can one mount them to avoid them being the first thing that scrapes? I have included a picture of where they are mounted now, I plan to buy a new set but I'm unsure about what kind to get i.e. boards or pegs. Any of you dragon drivers out that have solved the issue?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,390 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
imported post

Oh and by the way, while I was searching the forum/making this thread I burned my stuffing. Happy Thanksgiving to all of you as I have to make my stuffing all over again....

·
Just another ORF!
8,189 Posts
imported post

Although they're not 'boards', the same principle applies;

Dusty

·
Premium Member
1,390 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

Hi Dusty,

Thanks for the reply. I looked at that option and what I am afraid of is that they will slip forward. Have you had that happen?

·
1,698 Posts
imported post

Tt will be wery difficult to have both "comfort" and "sport".
Even the standard footpegs scrape on the ground when you are cornering.(only somethimes,LOL).

·
Just another ORF!
8,189 Posts
imported post

Kimswang wrote:
Hi Dusty,

Thanks for the reply. I looked at that option and what I am afraid of is that they will slip forward. Have you had that happen?
Yes, I have, but I used a trick that Exavid showed myself and JLuves. :bow:

You wrap a strip of wet/dry sandpaper around the engine guard where you plan on mounting them, making sure the 'grit' side is facing outwards, so that it grips the inside of the boards/pegs mount. Hasn't slipped since. :thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
1,390 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

Dusty Boots wrote:
Kimswang wrote:
Hi Dusty,

Yes, I have, but I used a trick that Exavid showed myself and JLuves. :bow:

You wrap a strip of wet/dry sandpaper around the engine guard where you plan on mounting them, making sure the 'grit' side is facing outwards, so that it grips the inside of the boards/pegs mount. Hasn't slipped since. :thumbsup:
I know that trick, it's old school.... Have not used it in years, but it might be time again. What about going to the old style engine guards and use the ones that fit in between the upper and the lower bar?

·
Premium Member
1,390 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
imported post

SMEDEN(=the blacksmith) wrote:
Tt will be wery difficult to have both "comfort" and "sport".
Even the standard footpegs scrape on the ground when you are cornering.(only somethimes,LOL).
If it was easy, everybody would do it....:smiler:

As a former Danish champion in Road Racing I need every degree I can get in the corners and right now I am dragging my boards. With a change in board position the mount will drag first and to have something that does not retract to drag first is an even worse option.

Som smed maa du vel kunne finne en losning her....:bow:

·
Premium Member
1,137 Posts
imported post

Kimswang wrote:
What about going to the old style engine guards and use the ones that fit in between the upper and the lower bar?
The problem with the old style engine guards is they have a flair at the rear loop. This flair rubs against your leg or ankle forcing your feet outboard.....

·
Premium Member
1,390 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
imported post

Redeye1620 wrote:
Kimswang wrote:
What about going to the old style engine guards and use the ones that fit in between the upper and the lower bar?
The problem with the old style engine guards is they have a flair at the rear loop. This flair rubs against your leg or ankle forcing your feet outboard.....
I noticed this. Is cutting the loop off an option?

Attachments

·
Just another ORF!
8,189 Posts
imported post

Yes, cutting the loops off is an option, but you are still left with just fore and aft adjustments and the board's mounts are set too low. :baffling:

If you attach the board's mount as I have illustrated, you'd be hard pressed to drag the mount. That's why I installed mine there, because I was dragging the bottom of the mount in keeled over corners.

Have yet to drag the mounts in their present position/location, although I can still drag the cruise pegs when not folded up without too much effort when carving corners, but not nearly so bad as before. With those Ergo mounts, you can have infinite adjustments.

I feel this position is the best compromise without getting the pegs/boards too high and raising the CoG too high, making tight cornering awkward because your feet are too high up and useless for throwing the bike around, if you know what I mean. ;)

·
Premium Member
1,390 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
imported post

Thanks for yet another good reply Dusty, lots of good arguments there and I think you have achieved to convince me that your option is in fact the best option. I am OK with them scraping in the turns as long as they fold when that happens. The way I have it now it scrapes way too early and the mount I have is not flexible at all....

·
Premium Member
16 Posts
imported post

I purchased a set of 4050 ISO Cruise Pegs for my 99 1500SE. It appears I need to loosen or dismount the engine guards in order to mount them. Any insight or advice?

·
Premium Member
16 Posts
imported post

I purchased a set of 4050 ISO Cruise Pegs for my 99 1500SE. It appears I need to loosen or dismount the engine guards in order to mount them. Any insight or advice?

·
Just another ORF!
8,189 Posts
imported post

You loosen the 4 hex bolts on the mount portion of the pegsand position behind the engine guard where you roughly want them, reinstall the hex bolts and tighten some until you are satisfied with their location and then snug up all the hardware. No need to remove the engine guards

·
Premium Member
1,390 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
imported post

There is a pin with lock washers on each side. Take the washers out and slide the pin in after you put them around the engine guard.

·
Premium Member
16 Posts
imported post

Maybe I wasn't clear...the clam shell mount where the 4-hex screws thread is too thick to fit between the valve cover and the engine guard. I don't want to remove the engine guard, but can't see another method.

·
Premium Member
16 Posts
imported post

They are now mounted. I had to remove the two lower mounting bolts to get enough flex to slide the clam shell mounting brackets over the lower guard bar.

·
Premium Member
1,390 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
imported post

dabeam wrote:
They are now mounted. I had to remove the two lower mounting bolts to get enough flex to slide the clam shell mounting brackets over the lower guard bar.
Well, now we definitely need pictures....

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.