Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,919 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

Does anyone know what years will swap with regard to GL1500 diffs ?

Those that follow the Tech. forum may remember this gem: http://tinyurl.com/l79b2q

Well. I still have the problem, and I don't want to get 500 miles from home and have a failure that could potentially lock the rear wheel and kill us both.

Things have been loosened and retorqued several times while turning the wheel- with, and without weight on the diff. Things have been apart, cleaned, tire and wheel bearings replaced.The drive splines look like new on both the coupling, and the diff. Still the noise.

The only thing left back there that turns at the same speed as the wheel is the ring gear.

Differentials are pretty cheap on eBay, but seem to be resold without being installed quite frequently. I've looked on the Honda Parts fische, and numbers are all different for complete assemblies.

The only thing I can tell from eBay pics - is the drive spline count on a '96 appears to be 26. The part number is visible in the pics, but doesn't match anything on the fische.

Has anyone stuffed a later diff. under an '88 ?

·
Premium Member
1,424 Posts
imported post

i think theres an odd year or two that dont fit or its a 5 or 6 peg issue to the wheel...i think all the splines are the same though...you can call Don at wingnut in fairfield california...hell know and probably have one...but most wing mechs in the buisness should be able to tell you right-off

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

1500 final drives are interchangeable except the 88 and 89 models which used six pin driven flanges like the earlier Goldwings. '90 and later models use five pin flanges.

·
Premium Member
151 Posts
imported post

I put a 96 yr. diffon my 88 with no problem, worked perfect.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.