Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

How often do you recomend lubing the drive shaft on a 1500? Do you have to pull

the shaft from the engine(rear) to lube the front splines? I had to do this on a Royal Star a few years back and it looked like it was never done!! It was almost welded together with rust. How hard is it to get back together after you pull it?:baffled:

·
Premium Member
5,502 Posts
imported post

1500 Drive splines lub - Goldwing Technical Forum - Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums - Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums

There is no set service interval. So I can only tell you what I have in my own mind decided and I run an 1800 not the 1500, so I have simply decided as the sevice manual does not give a clue about this, to simply grease the splines at each valve check interval, which is basically each 32,000 miles.

I am sure others will disagree, but Moly 60 is good stuff and will last a long, long time, I see no need to be excessive about it.

Kit

·
Premium Member
57 Posts
imported post

I've been watching this on another forum for air head
BMW's and some people claim that the run 50k with out
spline wear, I wouldn't do that myself I would say
25k it's not that hard to do when replaceing the tire
just pull the drive shaft off and the boot cover
get good MOLY Honda 60, that way if it slings the grease
off you still got molydenum on the metal parts.
be sure to coat the spline on the wheel and rear drive
every time you change the tire, one bmw mechanic says
we over do with the grease you just need a thin coating
put on with a tooth brush.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Yep, Moly Paste at least 60% molybdenem content is required. Two common sources are Honda Moly 60 or Loctite's 65% moly paste. I lube the splines on the driven flange every time I remove the rear wheel for a tire change, for the shaft splines I think 30-50 thousand miles is a reasonable interval if you KNOW the slpines have been lubricated with moly paste. If you don't know that for sure do it now. It's a reasonably easy job pulling the rear wheel off is the hardest part.

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
60,186 Posts
imported post

I greased the splines on mine each time I changed a rear tire.

Might be a bit excessive, but I sleep good at night.

·
Premium Member
2,998 Posts
imported post

I'm with John on this one.Lube everything when you change tires.

·
Premium Member
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

The dealer said I would have to drop the swing arm in order to get to the front u-joint splines. He also said that they never lube the driveshaft and the only time they ever take the drive shaft out is to replace bad u-joints.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Get a new dealer! you only have to pull the final drive and peel back the boot to get to the splines.

·
Premium Member
106 Posts
imported post

exavid wrote:
Get a new dealer! you only have to pull the final drive and peel back the boot to get to the splines.
Can front boot be replaced during this procedure without further teardown? Just patched mine up with RTV a few days ago.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Should be able to, I haven't changed a boot on my 1500 but there doesn't look to be anything preventing it once the shaft is pulled. In the case of the 1100 you have to either pull the swingarm or the engine to get the boot off. At least once when I reinstalled an engine on one and managed to forget the boot I had to pull the engine back off a bit to get the boot on.

·
Premium Member
531 Posts
imported post

What a pity grease nipples have gone out of fashion.......

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Grease nipples (or zerk fittings in the US) haven't gone by the board yet. But improved lubricating oils and greases have eliminated the need for a whole lot of them. The old vehicles all had zerks on the U-joints and needed a shot of grease every few thousand miles, modern vehicles U-joints last longer than the old hand greased ones without any attention.

·
Premium Member
725 Posts
imported post

396FISH wrote:
exavid wrote:
Can front boot be replaced during this procedure without further teardown? Just patched mine up with RTV a few days ago.
YES, once the final drive and shaft have been removed it is possible to install the new boot. i spent more time getting the shaft back into the splines on the u-joint.

Robin:waving:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.