Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Hi All, new member from Australia. Just had my 1500 motor rebuit, anyone got some good tips & what to watch for when installing motor & maybe a diagram as to the fitting of the hoses, & can the starter motor beconnected to the motor before installing the motor. I remember it was a pain in the A%$ to remove the starter while the engine was in the bike.

Regards Wingrider1963

·
Premium Member
360 Posts
imported post

Giday & Merry Christmas Wingrider1963.
You will get plenty of good advice from this forum. I have not had the pleasure yet of rebuilding a 'wing motor yet.
Did you use a motorbike workshop or a general motor rebuilder? It would be great to see some pics.

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
59,705 Posts
imported post

Only 320,000 klicks and you had to rebuild it???

Welcome to the forum. Someone will be along shortly to give you a helping hand.

Forum is a trifle slow with Christmas coming up, but the tech forum seems to be holding its' own.

·
Premium Member
198 Posts
imported post

I replace an engine on my 1500, and the one thing I messed up on is the plastic air chamber below the air box. It has 2 or 3 breather tubes running in an out of it. Once the engine is in the frame, you cannot get this plastic box back in place. Make sure you have it in before you put the engine in.

·
Premium Member
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

Thank you Randy for the tip, I,ll look at that before I put the motor back in, thanx again.
johnthebavarian, I got a friend of mine, who is a Goldwing mechanic to rebuild it for me. I will take pics, they might be able to help someone else one day.
Thank you for the welcome AZgl1500, the only reason I got the motor rebuilt was the alternator bearing in the back of the motor was shot & I thought if I,m going to pull the motor out to fix that I might aswell get it rebuilt. When my friend pulled the motor apart the internal parts werent to badly worn. At least its done & i should get alot more enjoyment out of it now.

·
Premium Member
628 Posts
imported post

The starter motor can be fitted with the engine out, and it's easier the doing it with the engine in the frame.

·
Premium Member
52 Posts
imported post

wingrider1963 , good morning and Merry Xmas to you and all who read this . which state is Mardi in as I have never heard of this place . I live in Brisbane and have an '88 GL1500 with a manual if you need asistance. Kaos

·
Honda Guru
2,043 Posts
imported post

SabreJoe mentioned the starter…
I've always removed the starter prior to engine removal and didn't reinstall it till the engine was bolted back in.

Also… don't forget to remove the dipstick before you drop the engine.
Another thing… it's a good idea to remove the belt covers. They can get scratched during removal.

An engine jack on wheels works wonders… as does a buddy with a really strong back

:waving:

·
Premium Member
402 Posts
imported post

Wingers from new zeland, others from australia... What a wonderful lands! I would move there tomorrow morning!

·
Premium Member
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
imported post

Thanks SabreJoe I will give it a go.
Hi Kaos, Mardi is on the Central Coast of NSW, right next door to Tuggerah. Thanks for the offer of the manual, I do have a factory manual, but sometimes its good to ask people who might know little easier tips that arn,t in the manual, thanks again.
Hi rayworx, got the floor jack, & my daughters boyfriend, if he wants to date my daughter he has to help me with the motor.lol.
Hi pippomaranga, we have nice roads to ride down here, even nicer in New Zealand. hope you have a nice Christmas in Italy

·
Premium Member
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
imported post

Hi johnthebavarian, got the motor prepared ready to put back in the frame, just waiting for my daughter & her boyfriend to come back from shopping so he can help me put the motor in.
I ordered some parts from cmsnl this morning & although I have a factory workshop manual, the parts diagram on the prts pages are great for following where hoses go & what they are connected to. Hopefully by tonight I should have the motor in the frame, & then I have to start connecting the hoses & wires, what a maze they are.

·
Premium Member
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
imported post

Got the motor in the frame & all the hoses & wires connected, just waiting for some parts before I can start the motor & check if everything is right. Just have a question maybe some one can help me with. the manual shows the starter motor with aPos & neg connection, mine has only got a pos connection, do they only have the one connection, if so how do they earth. have no neg wires left over or hanging around that should not be there.
Regards Rod.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.