Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

The collector box has rotted out and i need to replace the whole system with a Motad stainless system. Can any one advise me what it is like to change the complete system

·
Premium Member
160 Posts
imported post

look on EBay maybe you can find a collector box they are not to hard to change loosen the muffler clamps and a couple bolts and some body parts and get some new gaskets

·
Premium Member
43 Posts
imported post

Hi, changed mine awhile back. Its not a big job, just take your time. If you are only changing tail pipes and box you may not have to remove exhaust pipes from cylinder head though in my case I had to so that system lined up. Have new gaskets for the heads just in case. Spray WD40 on the cylinder head studs and all other bolts you have to remove the night before you start . Haynes manual is a good ref. Good luck

·
Premium Member
1,631 Posts
imported post

From what I have read the Motad system is an excellent choice. As far as I know it doesn't come with the exhaust to head gaskets and they are sold individually, not as a set. Use a decent penetrating oil to free the nuts well in advance to doing the job and put some anti sieze, or copper ease on the threads when you complete the job. I really don't know why they never put the copper or similar grease on the exhaust nuts. They always sieze and if you try to take them off dry, more often than not thye can snap the stud. Been there many times!

·
Premium Member
'91 gl1500
752 Posts
imported post

Let us know how you get on. I expect to be replacing mine for the same reason fairly soon .Didn't think it was that loud until I parked next to a GL1500 with a decent set of pipes on her ( ya know , ones with no holes in'em :D) How did you do on the price of the Motad system ?

MW

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.