Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I've searched and read alot of the past post on exhaust for the goldwings and noticed that several of the 1100 & 1200 owners have been using HD touring mufflers on their wings. They seem to be very available since most HD owners swap out the stock quiet exhaust for louder ones, and are rather cheap. My 1500 will be needing mufflers before long as they are starting to get a bit louder and I like a nice quiet ride.

My search has determined that the later model HD Road Kings (06 and up) will have a displacement very close to that of the 1500 Goldwing so those mufflers should be capable of handling the exhaust flow without creating undue back pressure, the pipe has a 1 3/4" inlet. I have noticed that some of these mufflers even come with cat-converters for CA emmisions, has anyone used these on a 1500 and if so how do you like them? Would a carb retune be needed?$50.00 for a set is a far better price than $300.00 or more, even if I have to make a couple of adapters.

·
Premium Member
1,437 Posts
imported post

If you like "a nice quiet ride", why not keep it stock.

And, why not try and find a good set of used mufflers from e-bay.

·
Premium Member
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

A stock Road King or Electra Glide arevery quiet bikes. Most touring stock mufflers regardless of brand have a Federal mandated noise decibel rating that they must meet when the bike is sold new. What I have noticed is that many HD owners will swap out their quiet mufflers for aftermarket louder ones and this provides a surplus of cheapmufflers as compared to going back to Honda to buy a replacement set. The main difference is that the HD mufflers are basically a straight universay type of muffler where the 1500 has the extensionsfor the inlets with the bends made onto the mufflers.As far as aftermarket or used for the 1500 most of what I've found on ebay are from high mileage or wrecked bikes so I may not be getting a set that's any quiter than the ones I've got.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.