Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

We have looked all over the net for this and that to check but nothing has offered an answer as to where or what is preventing the coil pack from firing. No fire whatsoever. Even tried a known good extra pack. Still no fire. All known fuses are good as well as relays. Battery is charges. Tried the cruise control test for the BAS and it shows good. ???????

·
Premium Member
382 Posts
imported post

Welcome to the forum. I am sure that someone will be around shortly to help you out. I assure you that if something broken someone has fixed it and the members around here are always willing to share their experiences, tips, and tricks. I am sure it is something very simple that should not take long to take care of. You may also want to put your post in the tech forum, lots of repair gurus there. Good luck, and welcome to the best Goldwing forum.

Brian

·
Bruce County Boy/Snowbird
1,707 Posts
imported post

Check the obvious first...Kill switch..

Has happened before on here...

·
Gregarious Greeter
16,809 Posts
imported post

[align=center]

[/align]

[align=center]Welcome garyz[/align]
[align=center]Post question in the[/align]
[align=center]tech section for a[/align]
[align=center]quicker response.[/align]

·
Premium Member
20,586 Posts
imported post

Welcome to the Forum garyz! :waving:

·
Premium Member
11,739 Posts
imported post

I would go with a faulty kill switch as well ,

·
Premium Member
250 Posts
imported post

It sounds like you've worked on this quite a bit but I will say I layed my '91 Interstate over about a month ago, fortunatly in some bushes. Got it right back up and had a devil of a time getting it to start. Seemed like it was flooded and had to crank for a good 2-3 minutes. Ran like crap for 5-10 minutes after it got going. Since you've gone into the coil I doubt this is the problem, just my $.02 worth.

Pat

·
Premium Member
6,132 Posts
imported post

My bike would start right after I changed the timing belts..... Frustrated I checked everything....... 2 hours later I checked the kill switch and sure enough........ it was off....... Turned on, started right up........

And Im sure it won't be the last time.

·
Anti-Guru
2,711 Posts
imported post

Cruise "ON" indicator with the key on showing good BAS (and also kill switch)...
... and you're getting no spark as you crank? Are you looking for spark with a timing (lamp or how)?

I hope that you're not trying to start in gear with the sidestand down (guess why I'm asking, yep, BTDT :( )

If you swapped the coils, then you've already been at the white 4-pin connector taped into the harness (right side of bike about "knee height) under the inner fairing panel. At that connector, look for 12V at the dark wire (Black with a light colored stripe with the key in "RUN"... (this is the 12V for all 3 of the coils)

While you're in that connector, watch each of the yellow wires (each will have it's own dark stripe) one at a time for a switched ground as you crank the bike. These switched grounds are the OUTPUT of the ignition module and should be what's firing your coils. (I'm thinking that you may not have signal there...)

As long as you've got eh side panel off, doublecheck and clean the connectors for the ignition box there hangin off the gas filler overflow tray...

You can measure for resistance of the pulse generators (I'd suspect a faulty connector) right at the harness connector there --- Look for a Green wire with a black stripe (common ground for all the sensors). The Pulse generators (timing INPUT) will be on white wires; find 2 white wires in that connector each of the white wires will have a color stripe (one yellow and the other blue, I think-- NOT the red stripe- that's from the gear switch). Resistance between each of the wires an their common ground should NOT exceed 500 ohms (I think 300 is ideal?).

These wires will run up to a connector above the right radiator fan. If you look at the connectors, they are all neatly arranged and ONE connector is kinda "sideways" and "above" the others... That's the connector for the pulse generators, and you may have shaken it loose (it gets quite dirty up there; worth a cleaning if you've got things apart anyway ;) )

Welcome on what isTHE best resource for your bike - great people here. Post back with what you find and allow the minds here to help you help yourself back onto the road!

edited typos as an amusement:gunhead:

·
Premium Member
68,164 Posts
imported post

WELCOME:waving::waving::waving:

·
Premium Member
1,299 Posts
imported post

I'm not 100% sure it has one, but you could check to see if it has a engine cutoff switch on the kick stand. It might have gotten boogered up when the bike fell.,,

·
Premium Member
42,661 Posts
imported post

If I remember correctly the 1500 has a bankangle sensor mounted on top of the fuel tank, under the seat, to shut the fuel pump off if the bike falls over. Don't know if it did anything about spark. Did you try turning the key on and off three times, that's how you reset it. Honda did have some bad angle sensors. TRY THE KEY TRICK!

·
Premium Member
31 Posts
imported post

Definately check out the back angle sensor. It's located on the frame just under the right front side of the trunk and just behind the right saddle bag. You have to remove the right saddle bag. The BAS goes bad with age. The last one I worked on would kill the engine simply by shaking the handlebars. If you can hear it clicking as you move it, the fluid has leaked out through the plastic housing material. Honda has an ongoing warrenty on the BAS. Check with your local dealer.

·
Old Broad
3,843 Posts
imported post

A Grrrrreat Big Welcome to this great site from Canada's west coast. There is a huge wealth of information, so don't be afraid to ask questions or contribute your experiences. :waving::waving::waving::action::action::action::action:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.