Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I've seen a few cheap 1500s for sale on CL and it got me thinkingabout getting a newer model. I've gotten used to having FI on my 1200 LTD and was wondering if any 1500s came with it. From what I've seen, the answer is NO, but I may have missed something.

·
Premium Member
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

Thanks for the bad news. I guess I'll keep my LTD as long as I can. It's a good thing I like it and it doesn't NEED to be replaced.

·
Premium Member
1,837 Posts
imported post

Not a veteran of 1500 yet. But they have 2 carbs for 6 cyclinders unlike the older wings that have 4 carbs for 4 cyclinders. So they are a whole lot less troublesome than the earlier wings I hope!!!!
I think working on them at lest getting to them is a whole lot harder tho.
In my own experiance the 1500 that I bought this summer. You would be hard pressed to tell the diffrence between it and an injected engine. It need a little choke to start the day but after that just touch the key and it idling nice and smooth. No hesatation or bad manners atoll. It is a compleatly diffrent bike than the 4 cylinder wings.
If you are wanting what the 1500 has then the fact that it has carbs is a small issue. To me the bigest issue or concern is all the wiring and assorted parts Just scars the hell out of me looking at it and wondering what the heck I will do if I have an electric issue.
Wilf

·
Premium Member
410 Posts
imported post

The 1500 is already formidable to look at under the plastics and saddle. I shudder to think how much more of a maze it would be with FI!

·
Premium Member
3,312 Posts
imported post

wilf wrote:
snip... In my own experiance the 1500 that I bought this summer. You would be hard pressed to tell the diffrence between it and an injected engine. It need a little choke to start the day but after that just touch the key and it idling nice and smooth. No hesatation or bad manners atoll. It is a compleatly diffrent bike than the 4 cylinder wings.
Wilf
That is the same way my 1500 runs. A little cold blooded at first but after a couple minutes of running I can turn off the choke and ride it the rest of the day with no hesitation, stumbling, idle problems or other bad manners. Other than from a cold start, it runs every bit as good as the 85 LTD I used to own.

·
Premium Member
1,837 Posts
imported post

Well actualy when I went to test drive it the ownner left the keys for me to try it out as he was going to be late. It was cold and a steady rain. I put the key in and had no idea where the start button was and where the choke might be. and it was also very dark by time i got there. I turned the key on and started to push buttons on throttle side hoping one would start it.
Varoom I hit the starter it fired up right away and idled quite smooth. After watching it sit there and idle for some time and some heat on the gauge I mustered up the courage to ride a starnge bike in the dark ,and rain that I did not want to pay for damageing if it went bad.
The ownner showed up and the deal was done. He was away when I picked it up also and I started it without choke and it ran fine. It was not till a few days later that I found the choke I was thinking perhaps it was an auto choke before that!!!
Wilf

·
Premium Member
452 Posts
imported post

I had three of the 85 GL1200L loved the fuel and now I have a GL1500 Carb, missed the FI so then I got a GL1800 trike :action:back to FI on all the 1800's :action:

·
Premium Member
1,424 Posts
imported post

your ltd is a fine and fast machine till you get fi problems
then you gotta be gooood!...to fix....and if you can get reply parts...i hear rare!...use fuel cleaner regularly

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.