Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1995 Goldwing gl1500 SE
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On my 95 1500 after removing the rear wheel I discover that the previous owner(s) did not lube the splines. They are worn way beyond use. I am lucky I didn't get stranded. Are the spline in the drive an integral part of the drive gear or separate similar like the coupling to the wheel?

Attachments

·
Administrator
26,571 Posts
Ouch!! That is part of the pinion gear.

·
Registered
1995 Goldwing gl1500 SE
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, that is what I said (only more descriptive) when I saw it. Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
201 Posts
My BMW oil head did that to the splines on the clutch and input shaft. About the same condition except they were lubed.

Now i have to pull the rear wheel of my 99 1500 and see for my self.

David

·
Premium Member
266 Posts

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
60,202 Posts
eBay listings

this is a 2000 year model, and is a bit tougher than what you had, designed for the Valkrie

this one has the driveshaft and rear end

lots more there, use this search link to find them all.

·
Registered
1995 Goldwing gl1500 SE
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
This forum is GREAT. Signed up today asked a question and got a wealth of information.. Thanks to all!

·
Registered
2,048 Posts
Which ever way you go,there are 3 o rings in there that you SHOULD replace,they may be bad in the wheel and caused the lube to get thrown out.
i replace mine EVERYTIME the tire is replaced,cheap insurance.

·
Premium Member
1998 GL1500 Asp and 2017 GL1800 4AC
294 Posts
A good percentage of the time you can find all the parts needed on Ebay to take care of the problem. A replacement Final Drive from a trike take off should not set you back much and the driven flange should be available as well. You can most likely get the drive and driven flange for less than the price of a new driven flange.

·
Premium Member
1,404 Posts
Those splines haven't seen greased since new. (The lash had to cause a foot vibration when letting off the throttle?)

It's good practice to clean and re-grease the Drive/wheel hub splines at every tire change. (Brake dust & road dirt is the enemy of moly paste)

Pull the drive and clean the both ends of the drive shaft & u-joint every two years, and you'll never need to replace those related parts.

·
Oh - THAT guy...
3,258 Posts
Agree! Always make sure the three o-rings are in place and in good shape. I used 'red' grease on my splines every tire change and 130k miles later they showed zero wear. If the gal hadn't rear-ended me and totaled the bike I'd still be riding it and doing the same thing.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
3,756 Posts
On my 95 1500 after removing the rear wheel I discover that the previous owner(s) did not lube the splines. They are worn way beyond use. I am lucky I didn't get stranded. Are the spline in the drive an integral part of the drive gear or separate similar like the coupling to the wheel?
Sorry you are a little late.

I recently "gave away" a 1998 Final Drive Unit with very low mileage.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts