Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I am replacing the final drive on my '96 with one from a low mileage 2000. I have the final drive off but I can't get the drive shaft out of it .what am I doing wrong?:(

·
Senior Guru
3,589 Posts
imported post

It isn't unusual for the shaft to have some rust and get stuck. It will come away with a bit of effort.
Put the shaft in a vice and tap the drive unit with a mallet to loosen it up.

·
Honda Guru
2,009 Posts
imported post

During assembly at the factory the final drive and the drive shaft hang from an assembly line and moved towards the partially completed motorcycle until the final drive was required to be installed.

The shaft is held onto the final drive with a large clip. Tapping or beating on the shaft won't release it from the final drive.Rust has nothing to do with it.

Hold the final drive in a vice (use some wood on the vice to keep from marking the final drive)

Position the shaft so it is parallel with the ground. Rotate the shaft in a circular motion while pulling out at the same time. It takes a little 'technique' but it will come off.

DISCARE THE CLIP AFTER THE SHAFT IS REMOVED. The clip is only there to hold the shaft onto the final drive during factory assembly.

Hope this helps.

Ray Wooldridge

·
Premium Member
1,424 Posts
imported post

if you have a 2k rear end with shaft together use the 2k shaft too..just pack it(grease) and leave it...if its better than yours...just takes some figin to get it in the front u-joint...or is this your plan already?

·
Older and Wiser
1,734 Posts
imported post

I found the shaft was easy to slide into the u-joint, but I had the Wing up on a Pit Bull lift and was able to sit on the ground and ease it in.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.