Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,039 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I changed the final drive oil on my 1200. Was looking to do my 2000 1500 also.

:?With the saddle bag & muffler directly in front, How do you get the fresh oil in? There's no room for even a small bottle, & I would need to find a funnel with a really long flexible hose end to snake my way into the fill cap.

Do I need to take the saddle bag off?

·
Premium Member
2,221 Posts
imported post

You could take the saddlebag off if you want to go to all that trouble or you could do like you said and make a flex hose on a funnel to do the trick. Lowe's, Home Depot or your local hardware store should have the flex hose and funnels for a cheep price.

·
Premium Member
12,685 Posts
imported post

After draining the drive ,you will need 140cc (4.7oz) of SAE#80 gear oil . I would look for a large syringe ,like a turkey baster perhaps and add a hose to rech up in there .If you know aveterinarian, he/she might be able to offer a very large syringe .Checkfarm type stores .For a little more $ you could get one of the suction pumps from an auto supply store which about the size of a standard grease gun .

I use a home built pressure tank system .

·
Premium Member
650 Posts
imported post

What I ended up doing just last week, when I'd drained r/e and could NOT get new oil in: Used small squeeze bottle w/clear plastic line clamped to it's cap nozzle and squeezed in the oil, as I was NOT about to pull r.h. bag, if I didn't have to! My 2 cents

·
Premium Member
128 Posts
imported post

I simply cemented the correct length of a stiff (but flexible) pcv tube to the tapered tip of the bottle. Used the original cap from the bottle to seal the tube when done. Squeezing the bottle controls the flow rate.

psu

·
Premium Member
815 Posts
imported post

It takes 5 minutes to remove RH saddlebag.

Just take that off and you have easy access to final drive.

·
Premium Member
286 Posts
imported post

Put the bike on the center stand and pressurize the rear shocks to about 60 lbs - that will move the drive down under the saddle bag. Long hoses/funnels etc. will work but I found it easier and lots more work room by taking the bolts out of the right muffler and rotate it down out of the way. BTW, be sure to take the TOP plug (fill plug) out first. That way you know whether or not to proceed with taking the lower plug (drain) out. :smiler:

·
Oh - THAT guy...
3,230 Posts
imported post

Spondulas wrote:
Put the bike on the center stand and pressurize the rear shocks to about 60 lbs - that will move the drive down under the saddle bag. Long hoses/funnels etc. will work but I found it easier and lots more work room by taking the bolts out of the right muffler and rotate it down out of the way. BTW, be sure to take the TOP plug (fill plug) out first. That way you know whether or not to proceed with taking the lower plug (drain) out. :smiler:
Always remove the fill lug first! Yes!

Worst case, if you can not get the drain plug out you can siphon the oil from the fill hole (my Rodeo has no drain plug I could remove, so I siphoned and just let it drip for a couple hours). I bought one of those pumps that install on the oil container (about $3), thread it up between the bag and rear gear and stick it in the hole. Very easy.

·
Premium Member
1,039 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
imported post

Thank's for all the tips.

I got a long funnel & a 2' piece of 1/2" vinyl hose to slip on the end of the funnel. I bunge'ed the funnel the the passenger arm rest, snaked the hose under the saddle bag, Over the muffler & into the fill hole. This wasn't to bad. I think next year, I'll try taking the saddle bag off to see how that goes.:?. Then I'll know

·
Oh - THAT guy...
3,230 Posts
imported post

Saddlebag off is way easier and is really not hard. Sometimes you can even just rmove all the inside bolts and loosen it to wiggle it out a bit for a touch easier access.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.