Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3,265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 95 1500 SE and have noticed an issue in the front forks. I initially thought it was the steering stem was loose but I retorqued it the other day. After completing the work I still had free play in the front forks. If I lift the bike so the front tire is off the ground and grab front tire I have front to back free play in the forks. Initially I thought it was the steering stem. Pwhoever and I took a closer look at it and it seems to be free play in the lower section of the forks. We didn't see any movement in the upper section of the fork tubes. I tried it with 0 air pressure and increments up to 6 lbs and still have the same thing.

I had dealer install progressive springs installed last year.

Any thoughts or ideas of what I need to do? I'm thinking the bushings might be shot. I can't remember if they replaced them last year or not. They did do the seals because I had one leaking when I took it in. I will have to look for my service ticket to check on the bushing to see if they were replace.
:?

·
Honda Guru
2,075 Posts
I'm thinking your bushings are shot too. It's usually the lower bushing that goes onto the fork tube bottom but you should check upper AND lower to be sure.

·
Premium Member
12,868 Posts
might as well replace the uppers and lowers at the same time . No need trying to save a few bucks and end up taking them apart a second time .

·
Premium Member
6,319 Posts
I agree, so find your receipt and see if they charged to replace them. They should not have gone bad in just year if replaced!

·
Registered
3,265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Not many replies or suggestions on my issue. I'm assuming everyone is thinking the same thing about replacing the bushings?

·
Registered
239 Posts
The bushings are a common problem on some wings with a little mileage one them.
You said the dealer installed Progressive springs. But did NOT say if they rebuilt the forks or just installed springs. I had the springs replaced at a Honda Hoot (on my ST1100) one year. ALL they did was springs and fluid. They did not take forks apart.
If it was mine. The seals are moving the same as the forks.I would replace ALL 4 bushings AND fork seals.

·
Premium Member
419 Posts
if you do the seals, specify honda seals.

the other seals dont hold up

i replaced both bushings and seals in mine over the winter

used 10wt maxima fork oil

·
Registered
3,265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I checked my records and they only did the seals and springs. Bushings were not replaced.

·
Pwhoever
3,338 Posts
Looks like it's time to order some more parts. Since part of the project requires the removal of the seals, I would suggest ordering new ones of them as well...

·
Registered
3,265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yep. I need to do some shopping for some parts.

·
Premium Member
6,132 Posts
Don: In one of your post you said that you torqued the steering head bearings, but are the bearings any good? I know you said you didn't get movement from them after, I didn't have any in mine either........ Im ordering a new set next week......... As long as your tearing into the front end, do both the bearings and the bushings. As much as I don't like doing 2 repairs at once, because you'll never know what really fixed the problem, but as long as your there........ Or you could be back there next year again.

Pictures would be nice when you do the repairs.....

·
Registered
3,265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I had the bearings checked last year at the dealer and re-torqued and they were good at that time.

I thought maybe that they were loose but when Mike and I checked them they were ok. I just wasn't thinking when I had springs and seals done on the shocks. I should have had bushings done at that time. Dummy me.

Live and learn.

·
Busdriver
1,037 Posts
You say you grabbed the front wheel and tugged. Are you sure it's not worn out wheel bearings? I would pull the wheel and check. This would also allow you to tug on the forks only and more closely inspect.

·
Registered
3,265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Busdriver I had the wheel off week ago to get new valve step. I did the wheel bearings and they are ok.

·
Premium Member
1,091 Posts
While doing routine maintenance on my 1500 prior to a long trip I noticed the same play in my forks that you saw. I rebuilt my forks not that long ago so just dismissed it. Went 7,000 miles, two up and had no problems. I'm not going to worry about it.

·
Registered
3,265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Tlbranth,
Do you get any wobble when you make tight turns at slow speeds? That is what bothers me about it. I sometimes pull a Aspen camper and don't want to dump the wing while making a slow turn.

·
Premium Member
1,091 Posts
Slow turns on the behemoth have always been a problem for me but it's due to a lack of skill I think. I did put a brace on a couple of years ago and I THINK it helped but not with the skill.
Note, though, that if there's a tiny play in the fork, it'll show up more with the forks extended because the bushings are closer together.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.