Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Hello well while trying to get my front right brake off I stripped the large braket bolt. Now I have no idea what to do next. Ive tried sloting it, back out bolts, everything i can think of, and they all did squat. I guess I could cut the bracket but the bolt would still be there. If you have any ideas they would be greatly appreciated. Also if you have a right side brake bracket looking for a good home, I might be in the market for one, it looks like.

·
Premium Member
10,276 Posts
imported post

I would try hitting it with some good penetrating oil, PB Blaster (Wal-mart) comes to mind, and let it sit for a day or so. Then try drilling it out and trying to remove with a square type extractor......always had better luck with those, than the reverse threaded type. Worse case, pick up a new bracket. See them on E-bay all the time.

Mine was really cranked in there too, first time I changed pads and I made sure I torqued it back together. I think people get paranoid about over tightening some components, say brake parts, for add feeling of safety.

·
Premium Member
395 Posts
imported post

I definately agree with using the square type extractor- those reverse ones always snap on me- and if there's one thing harder to drill than a bolt, it's a hardened steel extractor.

My mate went through this broken extractor process and eventually removed it with a diamond tipped drill. Then he snapped the "Tap" off in the hole whilst trying to clean up the thread- oh, how we laughed!. I've had some succes by belting a Torque or star shaped socket head into the hole as it cuts it's own grooves as it goes in. (works on rounded Allen heads) Steve

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
imported post

Yup, I can feel your frustration all the way up here.

Another trick I have used over the years is Heat and Ice.

Play a butane torch, Not Acetylene unless you are confident you wont get it TOO Hot.

Get the part with the Bolt frozen it really warm, If it's steel you can go to Cherry Red,

But if it's pot metal or Aluminum stay way cooler than that.

Now after removing the heat source place ice on the head of the bolt for a few seconds and then give it a sharp fairly hard hit with a hammer. This works best if you have the head still on the bolt as you can use your Hammer Impact Driver to Shock the bolt loose. But First always give the bolt a sharp hit Downward. This will help lesson the holding force that the threads are under.

Another source for Cold is a Fire Extinguisher or even those Canned Air things to clean computers. A few drops of Liquid Nitrogen is the best and you will actually hear the bolt Snap as it contracts and helps loosen itself. But how many people have access to that? Might try a speed freak that uses NOS.

Also way up there in the repair kit is Left Hand Drill Bits. As they drill and remove metal they help loosen the bolt and it's not unheard of to see a bolt back itself out while being drilled.

Good Luck to You.

Mohawk

·
Premium Member
289 Posts
imported post

Having worked on tug boats in and around Boston harbor salt water rusted bolts were kinda tough ......... I used to mix never sieze and W D 40 mabey a bit of kerosene oil and get a propane or better still Mapp gas torch heat only the bolt head wait a bit and keep brushing on the mixture as the bolt shrinks the oils are hopefully drawn into the void opening up and I used to tap on the bolt to crack open the rust between bolt and metal........ I mean tap I had a small upolstery hammer and just tap tap tap brush brush etc.. try it two three times then drill and tap best of luck in future

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.