Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm sure this has been covered before, but are the front brake covers necessary? The trade off for the aesthetics is what...running a bit warmer and collecting more dirt? I'd just assume to just get rid of them.

·
Premium Member
1,837 Posts
I think you may run cooler without them. I think they are just more plastic. Perhaps the 1500 designer was a phills Diller fan!
Wilf

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
No they are not necessary... I've had mine removed for years, because I do not like being unable to view problems such as worn brake pads, or grease flung onto the rotors; it's also much easier to remove the front wheel without the covers present.

I did make a 'Hanger Support' replace the left hand bracket that did same function, for the speedometer cable... It's probably not necessary, but I figure that the cable would rattle around without it.

·
Premium Member
2000 GL1500SE
3,349 Posts
That looks really good Alex. :thumbsup:
Did it void your warranty? :ROFL:

·
Oh - THAT guy...
3,275 Posts
I do not see my front wheel ever being that good looking...

·
Token Canuk
8,236 Posts
I never replaced mine after I spent about 40 hours polishing the front rim.....;)

·
Premium Member
4,608 Posts
I also liked the front without the covers, but as my luck would have it, a stone got caught between the rotor and the outboard left pad. This destroyed my rotor, and they aren't cheap. If I had that cover on, that rock would have not gotten in there. Just my experience. jimsjinx

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.