Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Im changing my front brakes on my 89 1500, and there are two quarter size shims between the pistons and the oldpads. I am putting on new EBC pads. I cant get the new pads over the rotors with these shims in place. No where in my service manual does it show these shims. I called a friend who has a 1990 SE and he says there are no shims on his! Has anybody ran across this and may have some advice.I wonder if these shims are from after market pads or something?

Thanks in advance, Shawn

Oh, and by the wayI did retract the pistons all the way first!

·
Premium Member
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
imported post

Well, I played around again with the shims in place and didnt fully tighten the pad pins. I only puta couple of threads to hold them in place,and they went right on. The service manual is sorta vague on when to tighten them.

Thanks, Shawn

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
imported post

Hi Shawn,

Can't believe nobody popped in to give you a hand before now.

But, On my 95 1500 there were no quarter sized shims between pads and pistons.

AND I used the EBC Pads too.

Sounds to me like the PO or somebody had installed or used this shims to push your brake pads out furthur instead of replacing pads.

You think?

Anyway I tightened my Pins at time of reassembly.

Hope this helps you some.

Good Luck

Mohawk

·
Premium Member
1,437 Posts
imported post

...Sounds to me like the PO or somebody had installed or used this shims to push your brake pads out furthur instead of replacing pads.

You think?...
If so, he did not need too. The pistons are fully capable toextend out when the pad it totally worn to the metal.

What would hold the shims is place? My pads are flat on the backside. There may have been two dimples on one set, but I can not remember.

·
Premium Member
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

These shims that are in there, fiton the inside diameter of the piston, so they cant fall out because they are lodged between the piston and the pad. I put them back in and they fit. I would like to know if there supposed to be there or not?

Thanks, Shawn

·
Senior Guru
3,873 Posts
imported post

the honds oem pads come with the shim

·
Premium Member
427 Posts
imported post

I wrote about this before and I am not sure my thoughts are correct. My wing also has spacers on the the right side caliper. My thought is that the spacers provide some protection from heat build up and thus protecting the fluid during repeated heavy braking. I have seen this done on race cars.

·
Premium Member
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
imported post

You are correct, I did the other side tonight and they are only on one side. You cant even put them on the other side because they dont have the opening for them. While we are on this subject, why would they only be on one side? Dont both sides heat up the evenly?

·
Premium Member
427 Posts
imported post

My thought is that the spacers are only on the right side because the right side caliper operates independantly while the left side caliper operates in conjunction with the rear brake. One could easily use the right side caliper quite a bit during a mountain ride.

·
Premium Member
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
imported post

I had no idea that the brake system was set up that way. That is great to know, It sounds like you know your wings!

·
Premium Member
2,249 Posts
imported post

I remember reading about this once. The best I remember the shims are there for anti rattle. Somehow it keeps the pads from jumping around when not engauged. My 1500 and 1100 have them. The ones on the 1100 clamp right to thwe pad. I have also seen shim type pieces on race car brakes that are there to disapate the heat so the calipers don't get as hot. Take your pick I have read both of these as explanations.

·
Premium Member
5,502 Posts
imported post

They are there to reduce noise and vibration.

·
Premium Member
82 Posts
imported post

treker8098 wrote:
My thought is that the spacers are only on the right side because the right side caliper operates independantly while the left side caliper operates in conjunction with the rear brake. One could easily use the right side caliper quite a bit during a mountain ride.
I knew that the rear operated in conjunction with one of the fronts but I did not know which one. When you say left are you talking about when standing in front of and facing the bike. In other words the front pads that are on the handbrake side of the bike (same side of the wheel that the rear brake is on)?

·
Premium Member
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
imported post

The right side if you are setting on the bike (AKA the curb side)that is the side where the spacers are at. That is the one that is independent to the front, and the other side (or left side) works with the rear brake.

·
Premium Member
82 Posts
imported post

w-82 wrote:
The right side if you are setting on the bike (AKA the curb side)that is the side where the spacers are at. That is the one that is independent to the front, and the other side (or left side) works with the rear brake.
Is it the same with 1800's; specifically an '08. By the way thanks for info to both you and treker.

·
Premium Member
285 Posts
imported post

They are my 88 i put them back in but , i don't think they matter too much.

·
Premium Member
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
imported post

Red Ron, I don't know anything about the 1800s Yet, But I hope to make that upward move soon!!! Hopefully someone will be able to help you withthat question.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.