Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I've been reluctant to add supplamental air to the front shocks becauseI have no way to check the pressure. I can't find a low pressure air pressure gauge that will fit onto the recessed Shrader valve on top of the fork. Bike's getting on now (90,000K miles) and the forks could use the air for sure. Does anyone have info on a gauge that can fit- probably vertically- onto the air valves? Obviously it has to be accurate at very low pressures, which I don't believe is true of the average tire gauge.

·
Premium Member
126 Posts
imported post

jmorizi1....progressive (the shock company) makes a low pressure gauge (it's like a 6 or 7 pound gauge) with it's own little hand pump built onto it. you just screw it on to the valve pump 2-3 pounds into the forks and then unscrew the hose from the valve. it even has a built in anti-leak valve on the end of the hose, so that you don't loose any air when you remove the hose from the valve. if i remember correctly....they are not that6 terribly expensivr...good luck.

·
Premium Member
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

Thanks, Fuji, that sounds good. I'll give it a try. Is that what you run, 2-3 PSI ? Max is 6 PSI, I believe, so why not go a little higher?

·
Trike Master
1,247 Posts
imported post

Just an experience. Had a 2000SE. Ended up running 0 air in front shocks. Always seemed to "stiff" to me w/any amount of air in them!
Most riding was 2up and we are not exactly "small" people.
Point is w/90K and you thinking you need air-it may really be time for a rebuild of the forks!

·
Premium Member
286 Posts
imported post

I always used the same digital tire gauge on the bike that I used on my automobiles. Most of them read 0-100+ psi (some in .5 lb increments and some only in 1 lb increments) and cost about $ 10. To put air in, I used the same bicycle tire pump that I blow up balls for the grandkids. No need to spend a lot of money for a simple task.

·
Premium Member
28,832 Posts
imported post

If you run progressives in the front they recommend that you don't add any air at all to the front shocks at all. Just something to keep in mind....

·
Premium Member
316 Posts
imported post

I've often put 10-12psi in mine. The problem with the front forks is the seals don't keep the air in for very long, that's why it makes sense to carry a small hand pump.

·
Lost on this *****
4,317 Posts
imported post

JDuggan wrote:
I've often put 10-12psi in mine. The problem with the front forks is the seals don't keep the air in for very long, that's why it makes sense to carry a small hand pump.
Too much,,,,,,,,,, thats why they leak down. When I still had the original shocks, I only used 4-5 lbs max. ,,, and it would hold air for weeks. I went with the progressive springs now and don't need any air.

You should be able to find a low pressure gauge at most power sports shops.

When adding air,,,,,,,, do not come straight off of an air compressor,,,,,,,, it will add way too muh air and blow the seals. You need something with low pressure,, such as a bicycle pump,,,,,, or,,,,,, I always used my portable air tank. I would only put no more then 10 lbs in the tank,,,,,,,, then it only takes a quick "spurt" of air to pressurize the shocks to anywhere between 5 and 10 lbs. Then I would release the excess air by checking with a gauge a few times till I got the reading I wanted (4-5lbs).

·
Still Learning
13,270 Posts
imported post

tfdeputydawg wrote:
Just an experience. Had a 2000SE. Ended up running 0 air in front shocks. Always seemed to "stiff" to me w/any amount of air in them!
Most riding was 2up and we are not exactly "small" people.
Point is w/90K and you thinking you need air-it may really be time for a rebuild of the forks!
John(jmorizi1) How long has it been since the fork oil was changed? If your seals are not leaking, you might give it a try first if you can't afford a fork overhaul. It should be done every year, 2 years at max. Fresh fork oil and the correct amount will make your world go round much better.
Merry Christmas :waving:

·
Premium Member
1,424 Posts
imported post

i do it the hillbilly way...fill em up(not solid) and jump on em and check em...you like??? ...no ?...let more air out!....repeat

·
Premium Member
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
imported post

newday777 wrote:
tfdeputydawg wrote:
John(jmorizi1) How long has it been since the fork oil was changed? If your seals are not leaking, you might give it a try first if you can't afford a fork overhaul. It should be done every year, 2 years at max. Fresh fork oil and the correct amount will make your world go round much better.
Merry Christmas :waving:
I'm about to change the fork oil again. Last done at 60K. I'm also considering going up in viscosity a bit (10 wt up to now). My fork seals are good, and I just installed a super brace (exellent), but I am planning on rebuilding the forks in the next year or so. When i do I'll get the Progressives, although I am a bit concerned about getting the caps back on. Right now the current setup is pretty decent for a 12 yr. old bike. Thanks for the input.

·
Still Learning
13,270 Posts
imported post

You got it bro, that's what it's all about here. I'll send a pm to you.

·
Premium Member
140 Posts
imported post

If you run progressives in the front they recommend that you don't add any air at all to the front shocks at all. Just something to keep in mind....

+1 on the Progressive shocks, night and day difference from the OEM shock

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.