Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Hey guys and gals...I am having a heck of a time getting to the front speakers to change them out on my 1500. The book has had me take the whole front part of the bike off and I still cant get the dash or instrument cover off. Can someone tell me the secret to getting to the speakers? I have the windshield off, mirrors off, headlight out, radio off, seat off, pockets out, ignition panel out... and I cant get to the speakers...LOL

·
Premium Member
231 Posts
imported post

Bummer, on my 84 aspy, the grill pops off and I can change speakers in 5 minutes with a beer in one hand :blackstuff:

·
Premium Member
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

I wish! For some reason I just cant get the "dash cover" off. Any ideas?

·
Premium Member
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

Thanks for the link. I finally got it off...it was the vents that were holding it on. The speakers arent cracked either...I thought they would be. Ill likely change them anyways. Good idea on the bulbs. Thanks

·
Premium Member
1,451 Posts
imported post

I did the speakers on a friends 89 years ago. Was a big PITA, but got it done. Mine are going and I'm not looking forward to the job. If I could remember I would tell you how, but all I can remember is that there was something about the air vents....

Bill

·
Premium Member
616 Posts
imported post

I replaced my front speakers on my 1500 this summer... twice! Sure got good at it. No s***, the 2nd time I had it stripped to access the speakers in about 10 minutes. Once you actually know what needs doing and what tools to use it's a snap.

Hey... just thought I'd add that I watched a speaker removal "how to" video on YouTube first which really helped. Here's a link to it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AYKBVfu5OjQ&list=FL5uhsRkKFcwKjArsrXJ7Glw&index=14

You don't need to remove near the amount of stuff he shows removed tho. I took off, in order:

1. the panel by the ignition key (held on by grommets - just pull up),

2. the mirrors (3 screws either side),

3. the trim in front of the windshield (2 securing screws, 1 either side),

4. removed the windshield (5 screws),

5. removed the windshield adjustment lock levers (2 screws, 1 per side),

6. remove knobs either side (headlight height adjustment knob on LH side& foot vent open/close knob on RH side)

7. removed dashboard vents (requires gentle touch not to break tabs - I used long thin screwdriver around sides),

8. pull instrument/dash cover straight back & speakers are exposed.

·
Pwhoever
3,182 Posts
imported post

Daryl Martel wrote:
You don't need to remove near the amount of stuff he shows removed tho. I took off, in order:

6. removed dashboard vents (requires gentle touch not to break tabs - I used long thin screwdriver around sides),

7. pull instrument/dash cover straight back & speakers are exposed.

You can actually even skip step #3, #4 and #5. Just make sure to pull the windshield adjust levers up and that gives enough slack to get the top part of the dash panel off or back on. The sides of the dash panel can get past the adjuster levers with them still in place also. You just have to be careful when replacing the dash panel to get the edges behind the adjusting mechanism before fully seating the dash panel.And just to add, I usually remove the dash pockets on both sides just to get a little more wiggle room. But like Dayl said, you do it a couple times and it gets easier....

·
Premium Member
1,137 Posts
imported post

When you get down to removing the speakers, DO NOT replace them with the JUNK J&M speakers. They do not sound any better than your blown out stockers. Some on here are using POLK speakers with good results....my $00.02....-Rich

·
Premium Member
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
imported post

Thanks guys for all the feedback. I finally got it all back together. I purchased 4" speakers from wally world for 26 bucks. So far so good. I also replaced some running lights ...actually what are those lights called between the headlights and the blinkers?...running lights?....and my highbeam while I was at it. Now its time to replace the rears.

·
Premium Member
517 Posts
imported post

removed dashboard vents (requires gentle touch not to break tabs - I used long thin screwdriver around sides),

If you do break the vent trying to remove it, be aware that the chrome aftermarket replacements don't hold up well. When I had mine apart last year I also found my left hand air vent tube had a mount point broken off. Just put it back in anyway, no problem so far.

·
Premium Member
3 Posts
imported post

Daryl has a nice list to follow for speaker removal. Replaced the stock speakers with a set of Kenwoods. Wow what a difference it makes.

Word of warning when removing the screws and slotted spacers holding the windshield in place, be careful. A phillips head socket on a rachet would work nicely. I found out the hard way and damaged 4 of the 5 slotted spacers and screws. This added $40 to my $30 speaker project. Live and learn.

·
Premium Member
675 Posts
imported post

Daryl Martel wrote:
I replaced my front speakers on my 1500 this summer... twice!

7. removed dashboard vents (requires gentle touch not to break tabs - I used long thin screwdriver around sides),
I found that if you have the mirrors and chrome windshield garnish off, you can access the vents from the rear of the dash by taking your signal light out (verrrrry easy!) and the back of the vents and tabs are exposed and removal is very easy.

T.

·
Premium Member
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
imported post

If I could turn back time I would have bought better speakers. I'm not happy with the Wally world ones. Should have got the Polk 501s. Live and learn.
:thumbsdown:

·
Still Learning
13,270 Posts
imported post

Infinity speakers sound even better than the Polk do, I was able to listen to both at Fryes Electronics. Both are marine grade.

·
Premium Member
2,642 Posts
imported post

newday777 wrote:
Infinity speakers sound even better than the Polk do, I was able to listen to both at Fryes Electronics. Both are marine grade.
Which Infinty speakers did you use?

·
Premium Member
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
imported post

Thanks for the info. no doubt Ill be replacing these things again.Gotta have my tunes!! I can hardly hear these things at freeway speed. Just garbage.

·
Premium Member
1,381 Posts
imported post

77Pinto wrote:
I did the speakers on a friends 89 years ago. Was a big PITA, but got it done. Mine are going and I'm not looking forward to the job. If I could remember I would tell you how, but all I can remember is that there was something about the air vents....

Bill
WOW!!!!! 89 years ago huh????? I didn't even know they had Goldwings back then. Learned something new!!!!!!!!!! HEH! HEH! HEH !!! Couldn't help myself.

·
Premium Member
16 Posts
replacing front speakers 1500

THE LINK TO THE SPEAKER REMOVAL/replacement doesn't work - can you send to me [email protected] please please please ;-) thanks CAPT D -retired

I replaced my front speakers on my 1500 this summer... twice! Sure got good at it. No s***, the 2nd time I had it stripped to access the speakers in about 10 minutes. Once you actually know what needs doing and what tools to use it's a snap.

Hey... just thought I'd add that I watched a speaker removal "how to" video on YouTube first which really helped. Here's a link to it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AYKBVfu5OjQ&list=FL5uhsRkKFcwKjArsrXJ7Glw&index=14

6. remove knobs either side (headlight height adjustment knob on LH side& foot vent open/close knob on RH side)

8. pull instrument/dash cover straight back & speakers are exposed.

·
Premium Member
16 Posts
THIS LINK DOESN't work anymore - no sound ? !
- anyone know where to see front speaker replacement on 1500 SE - thanks

- not working ?

thanks for your info here guys - got some tips - sure would like to see some pics and video to make things go smooth ;-)

Capt D - retired

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.