Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm about to change my fuel filter and not done one on a 1500 before. I know where it is but wondered if there is anything special I need to know, e.g. will I get fuel peeing out if done with a full tank or have to anything about air locks?

·
Premium Member
456 Posts
Easy and straightforward, but nearly impossible to do without spilling a bit of fuel. I clamp the tank line, esp if the tank is full. I'd be ready with some sort of plug. No problems with air locks.

·
Still Learning
13,274 Posts
As Dizzy said there will be peeing from the gas in the filter lines and filter. Put some rags under the filter to soak it up. The filter is above the tank, so no problem if you disconnect at the filter.
Did you get a filter already? Napa #3003 @$5. Autozone has a similar one for $4 for 5/16" lines.

You could remive the fuel pump power connector and run the motor to run the gas out of the lines and filter if you are concerned of the peeing.

While you have the shelter off, clean the air filter and if the cruise and sub filter haven't been changed, now is the time and clean the reverse switches and lube the cables.

·
Premium Member
4,608 Posts
Trust us on those "sub and cruise" filters! They turn to cookie crumbs, and get sucked all up in your carbs and cruise air module,(expensive!)! They are SOOO cheap, and Rudy has a tip for making your own "sub" filter out of a black foam paintbrush! They work fine! I cut 2 out of 1 brush! Cost= .99 ! When I got access to the cruise filter, it crumbled when I touched it. I vacumed all the debris up, and was glad I finally did the job! The tutorials here will get you through it all. jimsjinx

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
It's really easy to change the filter.

Steps:
1) Remove the seat
2) Remove the two plastic covers beneath the handle bars (inwards of the top cover to the radio)
3) Remove the top cover to the radio (with the radio attached). Note that there are two swiveling clips inside of the "bay" where the fuel tank cap is located, which must be turned 90-deg to detach.
4) Lift and remove the top cover... ok to merely turn it (90) degrees, so as to now fully access the fuel filter
5) Unplug the old fuel filter, and plug in the new one, verifying that it is pointing in the correct direction, as per the Arrow molded into its case
6) Re-assemble, being sure to locate the wire cables to the radio in the same position as they came out... othersise the top shelter may not return to the same vertical position.

·
Premium Member
314 Posts
While you have the shelter off, clean the air filter and if the cruise and sub filter haven't been changed, now is the time and clean the reverse switches and lube the cables.
Any place to get these besides Honda? It is extremely difficult for me to get to a Honda place due to my shop hours. And if there is another source option, any part#'s?
Just crossed the Napa fuel filter number to Oreillys. WIX # 33003 $3.89

·
Premium Member
711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for all your responses and it was good to have it confirmed that I don't need to worry about air locks etc. so I'll crack on.
Newday777..I've got the filter thanks. I got an OEM one only because I was buying some other bits from a local dealer at the same time, way more expensive than it should have been though!
I did the sub and cruise filters last year (should have changed the fuel filter then but I didn't have the part handy so skipped it at the time) and you were right Jimsjinx the sub filter was pretty well dried out.
Alex..thanks for the tips on this job. As usual your knowledge is spot on.

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
Any place to get these besides Honda? It is extremely difficult for me to get to a Honda place due to my shop hours. And if there is another source option, any part#'s?
Just crossed the Napa fuel filter number to Oreillys. WIX # 33003 $3.89
If you're asking about the Cruise and Sub-carb Filters, then you can make your own out of:
1) Foam paintbrush
2) Foam sheet material sold at Walmart, for air conditioner filter media. (Just $1 for a sheet that will make about 100ea of the filters!)

·
Premium Member
2000 GL1500SE
3,349 Posts

·
Still Learning
13,274 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,212 Posts
Fuel filter spill? No problem. I do this in layers under the filter.

[email protected]||||||||||@--- (filter)
/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\ Cloth rag, on top of ...
_______________ plastic bag.

:action: DRIP ON

·
Still Learning
13,274 Posts

·
Still Learning
13,274 Posts

·
Busdriver
1,037 Posts
I remove the fuel output line at the pump/tank, clamping it first with a small pair of vice grips. Then over a small container remove the clamp and let drain. This will empty the filter, after which you can remove it without spillage. Then reconnect the fuel line, install the new filter and done.

·
Oh - THAT guy...
3,275 Posts
Instead of vice grips which can damage the rubber due to the sharpish edges, consider getting a pair of line clamping pliers just for this purpose. They have rounded jaws that will not damage the rubber line and lock shut like vice grips.
Personally though- I do like the others and use rags to catch the drippage, though I do disconnect one end and pour the filter in to a small old cat food can or something so there is less drip.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.