Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Premium Member
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I have to share this with you guys.

I went to the shop and had a new air cleaner installed on my 97 1500se, when the mec took it out he showed it to me and said it was notbad at all! I still hadhim put the new filter. I drove the bike for another 1000 mi or so with no improvement in MPG! I called my Mechanic Who has worked on Hondas for a local dealer for 15 years who also installed the new filter for me and he told me to go to the parts store and buy a can of Seafoam. And follow the instructions to add to the Gas tank.

It cleans the jets and the carb's anything it touches. It's been around since the 40s!

I did one full tank of gas to 6oz of the Seafoam. I noticed a difference in the smoothness's after 50 mi or so. I then ran around 4 more full tanks of gas only, then checked my MPG. I am amazed yesterday we rode to Daytona (I live 2 hrs) 2 up and got 49.7 at best. Another time (yesterday) I got 45.1!!

I think it's worth everyone with an older wing to try this stuff. I am a believer in it.

Before I got 30-32 MPG keeping the RPM under 3000 allways. It sucked gas!!

Try it. I paid $8.99 for a 16 oz can.

Let me know howit works for you? But give it a few tanks after one with Seafoam.

Ray.

·
Premium Member
3,775 Posts
imported post

Seafoam is second nature to many of us. Do a search for Seafoam to see all that has been written about it. There's even athread called "The Seafoam Chronicles". Great stuff, I use it religiously.

·
Premium Member
1,790 Posts
imported post

Ahhhh, another true believer has joined the flock!

Welcome brother, may your days be long and warm, and your nights be cool and crisp...

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
60,149 Posts
imported post

Sea Foam?

Never heard of the stuff :D

Yep, I am a strong proponent of keeping that stuff on hand. Use it twice a year and all will stay well in Honda Land :action:

·
Premium Member
662 Posts
imported post

:waving:Yep, Sea Foam is greatproduct! I use at times and I've found it only in 12 oz cans and the cheapest place is at WalMart @ $6.44 per can. I also use it inthe fuel tanks on my boat which holds90 gal. ea. Sea Foam came out many years ago for usein the marine industry.

·
Premium Member
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

Has anyone had the results I gotwith the MPG increase?

(Just curious?)

Or is my results not typical?

You seem to be very aware of this product.

And this forum.

Let me know?

Thanks Ray.

·
Senior Guru
2,234 Posts
imported post

rdcd wrote:
I have to share this with you guys.

I went to the shop and had a new air cleaner installed on my 97 1500se, when the mec took it out he showed it to me and said it was notbad at all! I still hadhim put the new filter. I drove the bike for another 1000 mi or so with no improvement in MPG! I called my Mechanic Who has worked on Hondas for a local dealer for 15 years who also installed the new filter for me and he told me to go to the parts store and buy a can of Seafoam. And follow the instructions to add to the Gas tank.

It cleans the jets and the carb's anything it touches. It's been around since the 40s!

I did one full tank of gas to 6oz of the Seafoam. I noticed a difference in the smoothness's after 50 mi or so. I then ran around 4 more full tanks of gas only, then checked my MPG. I am amazed yesterday we rode to Daytona (I live 2 hrs) 2 up and got 49.7 at best. Another time (yesterday) I got 45.1!!
I think it's worth everyone with an older wing to try this stuff. I am a believer in it.

Before I got 30-32 MPG keeping the RPM under 3000 allways. It sucked gas!!

Try it. I paid $8.99 for a 16 oz can.

Let me know howit works for you? But give it a few tanks after one with Seafoam.

Ray.
Your bike must have been running terrible for that Seafoam stuff to make that much difference.

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
imported post

That is an AMAZING improvement.

I guess I will have to feed some to my Dancing Partner.

Maybe your bike was just excited to be going to Daytona for Bike Week. ( You Lucky Dog)

But that is still great.

That's the high end of MPG I have heard of.

I get 45 if I baby it, and I mean really baby it, and never forget for a second that I am babying it.

But then again you are a Flat Lander.

The only Hills Florida has is Bridges and On Ramps.

But they do have some Tall Bridges. Even scares the ******** from Alabama.

I remember pulling the bike over in Destin watching this crowd of Knotheads Canon Balling a small school of Hammer Head Sharks.
Those Alabama boys just ain't right.
I stayed to see which would get killed first.
A Shark or one of the knotheads.

I think the Highest Point in Florida is up toward where I lived for a decade and that was only 300 or so feet.

Even Louisiana has Florida Beat for higher elevation.

Good MPG Ray,

Mohawk

·
Premium Member
1,765 Posts
imported post

The only way I can get 45 mpg is coasting down a 45 mile long hill.

·
Premium Member
4,931 Posts
imported post

I can get 40-42 mpg if I take it real easy and avoid stop and go driving; and I believe that is pretty much the normfor the 1500. Guess your 1500 was so happy about getting the dose of Seafoam that it simply overshot the mark. Nevertheless, glad you discovered seafoam.:waving:So is the producer.

·
Premium Member
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
imported post

Vic, My bike was running fine, it was the MPG that was in question.

The Seafoam did improve the overall performance, and smoothness but it was the MPG I was wanting too improve. My Harleys both get 40-49 MPG so theG Wing had too improve in my opinion.
30-32 is just wrong!! And Seafoam was the answer for me.

NO!! no affiliation with them!! (seafoam)

·
Senior Guru
2,234 Posts
imported post

I'm glad it worked for you but even a valve job,new spark plugs, air filter and a carb synchronyzation won't give you a 13 MPG improvement in fuel economy unless everything is in terrible condition to start with. Don't mind me it's just that being a mechanic for 40+ years I have never seen a mechanic in a can perform miracles but I have seen good routine maintenance keep an engine running like new. I never, everuse additives in my bike because the chemicals can cause damage to the carbsbut with proper maintenancemy GL1200will easily deliver 50+ miles per Imperial gallon. If it works for you keep using it but just be aware that chemicals other gasoline in your fuel tank can cause damage with excessive use.

Vic

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
22,747 Posts
imported post

I've got to weigh-in with Goldwinger1984 on this one.

From 32mpg to 45mpg is a 40% increase!

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
22,747 Posts
imported post

I've got to weigh-in with Goldwinger1984 on this one.

From 32mpg to 45mpg is a 40% increase!

·
Premium Member
238 Posts
imported post

Not wanting to disagree with anyone on this, however, I can see where Seafoam could improve mpg better than placing cow magnets on the fuel line. A few years back some drivers taped magnets to fuel line in the hopes of increased mpg. Seafoam should at least help clear deposits within the main carb. I hope I can get that mpg when I get my wing on the road and not just little "test" trips.

·
Senior Guru
2,234 Posts
imported post

I distinctly recall testing the magnets on the fuel line gimmick back when I ran a fleet of 50 trucks and the results were that there was no difference at all when the magnets were in place. The only good thing about magnets on a fuel linewas listening to the story from the salesman about how and whythey worked. What a riot!

Vic

·
Premium Member
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
imported post

I guess it's a normal reacation for some to doubt what others say. That's fine with me. But I have no reason to make up such a story if not true.
My math skills are excellent, I use a thing called calculator on my phone found in the tools option.
I have seen others claim the same MPG as I am now seeing as well. I wonder why?

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

I don't doubt you got a surprisingly large improvement in mileage on your 1500 after dosing it with Sea Foam. I don't get more than 40-42mpg in normal riding at speeds up to 70mph. If I go much above 70 mpg begins to drop quickly. That's what I get riding around town and that's what Jluvs2dive and NaturalyGW much achieved on our 5000 mile round trip to Calhoun last fall. It seems to be that if you got that much improvement there likely was some serious crud in your carbs that the Sea Foam cleaned out. I have seen improvements in running characteristics after dosing my bike with the stuff and though I'm not a fan of "miracle in a can" I do use Sea Foam regularly. One disappointment with it is that it hasn't done much to cure my baldness.

·
Senior Guru
2,234 Posts
imported post

Miracles happen everyday and maybe your situation is a miracle. All that I am saying is that it's hard to believe that a good running GL1500 can gain 13 MPG with the simple addition of a chemical mixed into the fuel. Now if it was running terrible beforethe chemicaland the fuel jets were clogged and then you put the stuff in the tank and suddenly the bike started running better I could appreciate the results but you said it ran great before you put the chemical in the tank. I would just hate to see people damaging their bike's carbs with the use of a harsh chemical in the fuel. The only problem I have with any fuel additive is that itmay cause hardening of any soft parts in the carbs and you won't see the damage until after it's too late and then it will be time for a complete and expensive carb rebuild. Use any fuel additive sparingly if at all. I would just hate to see folks trying to improve their fuel economy because they think that their gas mileage will just about double if they use a fuel additive. If you know engines like I do you just know that ain't gonna happen in the real world unless a true miracle occurs.

Vic

·
Senior Guru
2,234 Posts
imported post

exavid wrote:
I don't doubt you got a surprisingly large improvement in mileage on your 1500 after dosing it with Sea Foam. I don't get more than 40-42mpg in normal riding at speeds up to 70mph. If I go much above 70 mpg begins to drop quickly. That's what I get riding around town and that's what Jluvs2dive and NaturalyGW much achieved on our 5000 mile round trip to Calhoun last fall. It seems to be that if you got that much improvement there likely was some serious crud in your carbs that the Sea Foam cleaned out. I have seen improvements in running characteristics after dosing my bike with the stuff and though I'm not a fan of "miracle in a can" I do use Sea Foam regularly. One disappointment with it is that it hasn't done much to cure my baldness.
Paul, you know engines and carbs well enough to know that if the fuel jets were substantially blocked that drivability would be seriously impaired yet rdcd claims that his bike ran fine prior to the additive. If the stuff makes that much difference in the fuel then why aren't OEM folks knocking down Seafoams door to get that chemical into the tank of every new car and bike. Finally, why didn't that chemical make any difference at all on my bike when I tried it? Maybe it only works for certain people and not others. Go figure. Anyway ifthe userthinks thatit works then it must work logic be damned. All I am saying is to be aware of the consequences of using a foreign chemical in your bike's fuel because the cost can be surprising after the chemical does a number on the inside of your bike's carb. BTW, maybe I should try that stuff on my baldness because just maybe it'll work for me in that case. :cooldevil:

Vic

Vic

1 - 20 of 47 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.