Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
826 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

Hi all,
I have a 1500 Aspencade with 23,000 miles. We just returned from a 2700 mile trip, and had intermitent problems with fuel the whole time. First time was right after fueling up, it lost power at about 50 mph and acted like it was out of fuel. 15-20 seconds and it kicked in again. It would usually do this after getting gas. but not always. Also seemed worse th faster I went. I changed fuel filter, and it was good for a couple days. I put the spare key in the fuel door so I could try things when it started again. Tried opening gas cap, playing with filter placement, mostly seemed to help, but I tried leaving gas cap loose and it still did it. It had vacuum to the fuel valve and overflow hose doesn't seem blocked. Blew in fitting on cap OK.
I'm stumped. All the obvious things look good.
I forgot, I used SeaFoam for 5 tanks, and thought that did it, but it started again just as bad as ever. The only other thing I noticed, it seemed to work better as the day got hotter. Could be my imagination.
Dealed doesn't open til tuesday, then I'll talk to them and change filter again.
Any other suggestions?
Dave

·
Honda Guru
2,074 Posts
imported post

I'd like to ask a couple of questions:
in your profile it says "none at present" so... this is a recent purchase??
What year is it??? Almost any year with only 23k miles means it did a lot of sitting and storage. Improper storage could be a root cause with 'gunk' in the carbs.
Another thing(s) that come to mind is that the fuel pump might be giving out. Especially with the 'kicks in after 15-20 seconds' statement. A pump, in the early stages of failure, can kick in and out like you discribed. Also, a vacuum hose partially leaking can cause this lean running problem... along with the temperature notation. That all falls into line with a possible pump or vacuum leak.

·
Other side of the pond
3,409 Posts
imported post

If it cuts out and in again, that more or less rules out a bad bank angle sensor. Ray is probably on the right track.

·
Premium Member
826 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
imported post

Thanks for the replies. The bike is a 97. I bought it in June with 19,000. It ran great until the second day of our trip. I went for a ride this morning, no problems. Never went over 60 though. I'm trying to find a vacuum pump to test the fuel valve. It does have vacuum at the line there. I guess I'll check the pump too.
I'll let you know what is was when I find it.
Dave

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.