Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,851 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Late last fall our group had a campout in a friends back yard. I pulled my Kwik Kamp behind my `98 S.E. Part of the way was on 1-29. I found out that when I got up to around 70 M.P.H. the bike wouldstumble like it was running out of gas. Back off the throttle a bit, and all was fine. Checked things over when I got back. Vacuum fuel shut off valve seems to hold a good vacuum,so I went ahead and put in a new fuel filter. Seemed to run okay. Today I was ejoying a ride in 30 degree weather with the cruise control set. Started going up a fair grade, 65 M.P.H., and it cut out bad like it was ready to die again. back off the throttle, and downhill all seemed normal again. Bike now has better than 127K on it. I am now thinking fuel pump replacement time. Did a search in the archives and came across a suggestion of using a fuel pump as used in a `86 Accord. Has anyone tried this? Looks like around $225.00 at least for a 1500 fuel pump from a dealer. That would also include the low fuel sensor though. Right? What have others done?

Gumbyred

·
Premium Member
2,221 Posts
imported post

I had to change my fuel pump this summer when the wife and I were on vacation. I could not find an OEM pump anywhere but I could order one and wait 7-10 days for it. I decided to go the 86 Accord route. I went to the local auto parts house and they had one in stock. I fitted it and the wing ran fine. When you replace the pump you do not mess with the low fuel sensor as it is on another part of the pickup tube shaft. You will be just replacing the fuel pump and strainer screen. I am still using the accord pump but I am looking for a good priced OEM pump for a backup.

·
Still Learning
13,270 Posts
imported post

Gumbyred
Has your bike been sitting a few weeks w/o riding? If so might be bad gas/ethenohl. Mine runs real bad when it sets more than a week with the gas we get. Its all over the country, I'm on my way back to CA from being on the road since Aug 12th, 11,000 + miles, it has had to sit in a garage a week in NH(I ended up being there 2 months helping a friend get some jobs completed) while waiting for the roads to clear from the 2' of snow the end of Oct, and then 3 days in TN while heavy rain. I've had it start running bad after filling up in Monroe LA at a cheap station and in TX where they refine it near where they pull it from the ground(and gouge us worse on the price), which I will plan on skirting west TX next trip, east side they don't gouge as bad on the gas price nor the room rates.

·
Anti-Guru
2,711 Posts
imported post

You mention that your petcock seems holds vacuum... up hill with a load, and a little right writs presents one of the lowest vacuum states available inthe GL1500 which often allows the petcock to close (a lot of em will begin to close below 8in-Hg, others not till 2in-Hg)...

It may be worth some time to reproduce the load and right-wrist settings and measure the actual vacuum that'd be available to your petcock, then run that same vacuum later while on your stand to see if your petcock is closing off..

That said, adding more fuel pressure can shift the petcock's shut-off hysteresis favorably... but it does cost some time and money.

(to me, if you're fuel-starving at high power demand, and you can increase the vacuum, and the bike comes back to life, it's usually a petcock closing issue but that's just me)

·
Premium Member
1,851 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

Had time to think the problem over a little last night. I should have run a flow check on my fuel pump when putting in the new fuel filter. It seems to me that if thhere is a vacuum leak ANYWHERE in the mass of vacuum lines it could be the same as a leaking vacuum fuel shut off valve. Bike runs good otherwise though. Gas I have is not much more that i week old, and I try to never use gasahol. Sounds like the `86 Accord route might work. Fuel pressure must be about the same between the 2.
Gumbyred

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
imported post

gumbyred wrote:
...when I got up to around 70 M.P.H. the bike wouldstumble like it was running out of gas. Back off the throttle a bit, and all was fine. ...Started going up a fair grade, 65 M.P.H., and it cut out bad like it was ready to die again. back off the throttle, and downhill all seemed normal again....
> Does it run ok Above 70mph?

> Mine developed an odd "Vibration" at around 70mph, which would go away above or below that speed. Got it fixed by doing two things:
1) Fixed a sticky carb slider, using teflon spray
2) Removed the fuel petcock

(Given Two variables, I therefore dunno which One of those was the sole culprit)

·
Premium Member
1,851 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

It will run okay past 70, as long as I`m not pulling a heavy trailer, or going up a fair grade at the same time. I thought a semi was passing me going uphill, but it turned out to be the sound the bike was making as it was starving for gas.
Getting colder outside now, and I will probably leave the heavy work till next spring. Run a flow test on the fuel pump then. Decide on next step from there. Probably change the oil, add Stabil, and fill gas tank during Thansgiving Holidays, and put it up for a few months now. When I get it figured out, I will post a response.
Thanks for the response.

Gumbyred

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.