Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1998 1500 I usually use elite 2 but the price has gone up $30 in the last year or so. Any suggestions on different brands?
I would go to a car tire but, the shops will not work on them.
Thanks for any help

Steve

·
Premium Member
3,303 Posts
Austone Taxi tire and ceramic beads. Any tire shop can mount it for you, you do not need to use a bike shop. My Midas will do it for free (no balancing) if I ask nicely and I give them a dozen donuts, although most of the time I spoon it onto the rim myself using a car jack under a rear bumper of the van on the tire with a block of wood on the other side of the tire to break the beads.

·
Premium Member
6,319 Posts
Hi Steve.

Yep, I vote Austone also if you can find a place to mount it.

Actually it is not a CAR tire, it is a Passenger tire, so just tell them you carry a passenger and any place should mount it. LOL

If they say it's a TAXI tire, well tell them you charge the passenger $5 as the Taxi fee! LOL

I know what you mean though. I do my own tires. At first places said no but now I have 2 that would do them, but easier, faster, and cheaper for me to just do my own.
I ask them if it's a passenger tire does that mean I have to change my cars tires every time I drive my by myself without a passenger in the car?
If I drove a taxi, do I need to carry 4 extra car tires in case I am driving private and not for hire as a taxi? LOL

·
Premium Member
4,208 Posts
Austone:thumbsup:
Should be spelled AWStone, like AWsome.

Once you get your legs stretched an extra inch in a Mid-evil Rack :cooldevil:,
you're good to go.

·
Super Moderator
6,132 Posts
I have had not much luck with the Austone...... I like it on slower roads or in the curves, I like the ride when doing less than 45 MPH........ Anything faster than that it makes the bike to squirrely. I know some don't feel it, some don't mind it. At high speeds, I want that bike to be rock solid, and it's just not........

·
Oh - THAT guy...
3,230 Posts
Many good choices- everything is getting more expensive.
For a bike tire the E3 is tough to beat for longevity and load rating as I got 18k out of my last one, but it was pretty well cupped and noisy long before then. Some here have used a few (others get more, some less of course) of the 'cheaper' brand-x tires and been moderately happy, but they do not last nearly as long and yo have to careful with the load/weight rating.
Those are a couple reasons I went Austone. Those and double the life, LOADS of weight capacity, far increased rain traction (I live in Oregon after all). Some have had negative experiences with it (as with all products), but I have been nothing but impressed. It is only rated to 99 mph and I have had it there a couple times for short runs with nothing but smoothocity. Frankly I rarely do more than 70 most of the time anyway. Never a shake, never squirrelly.
A local shop mounted it for me for less than $20 out the door, balanced. I just had to sign a waiver so he was comfortable. Most shops will do 'custom' work- a lot is in how you ask. How many cars are non-stock and shops do not complain a bit when an owner wants something different than the norm? It SHOULD be the same for us Wingers.
Rich

·
Premium Member
396 Posts
I have had not much luck with the Austone...... I like it on slower roads or in the curves, I like the ride when doing less than 45 MPH........ Anything faster than that it makes the bike to squirrely. I know some don't feel it, some don't mind it. At high speeds, I want that bike to be rock solid, and it's just not........
I had the same experience as jobe05. I liked the Austone when I was not on the highway. At highway speeds (55 mph & up), the bike was squirrelly. I also had rubbing on my inner rear fender. Apparently, you can avoid the rubbing by zip tying the inner fender forward.

There are varying opinions on the Austone. Most are positive. As much as I wanted that to work for me, it did not.

Other than the Austone, I have always ran E3s. Next time I think I am going to try Avon Venoms. I have a friend running a set and he really likes them.

Let us know what you go with.

Ed

·
Premium Member
1,340 Posts
Kenda Kruz 673. Great performance. Budget priced. I have about 5000 miles on the rear tire now and no visible wear (measurable, no doubt, but not noticible to the eye), tread remains quite deep. Very happy with my choice of Kendas on my 1500 (both front and rear).

I bought them online. Amazon seems to be a good source. You can pay lots more for tires...not sure if it actually buys you anything additional...don't claim to know either way. I only know I'll buy the Kendas when it comes time for tires again.

·
X-Roughneck
1,229 Posts
For me there's no question,Austone Taxi Tire!
Zip tie front of rear fender,Add 48# of air,and enjoy a waaaayyyyyy smoother ride.Mine is solid at any speed.Turn a corner covered with pea gravel and you will be convinced.

·
Premium Member
6,319 Posts
HMM......

Give me back those cookies!! :ROFL:

I have not had any trouble or odd feeling in mine. I think it's just you.
Too much coffee and you got the jitters and shakes a bit and that works through the handle bars to make the bike squirrely. :ROFL:
Or maybe my coffee jitters just get in synch with the Austone to even things out! :ROFL::ROFL:

Honestly though, not all tires are right for everyone. If you don't like your Austone and want to replace it let me know. If still in pretty good shape I might buy it from you. Not sure how much you wore it down, I know how you ride! LOL

I have a new Austone I was going to put on a 1500 then use my used Austone on the other 1500 till wore out.
With this new trip to WV I think I will be pretty close to wearing out the Austone on 95 now once I am done riding.

I have about 1/3 tread left if that now, so good for lot's of miles yet, but I expect to put those miles on in next 2 weeks!

I'll just buy another new Austone, unless you'd like to get rid of yours?

I'll be riding the 88 and 95 both soon so need to have 2 good tires and will only have 1

·
Premium Member
3,615 Posts
That's my experience also. Went 300 miles before removing.

I am running Venoms now and love them. They are so quiet!!!!! Did I mention that they are quiet? Compared to the E3s. Also with 6 k miles there is no cupping. Unlike the E3s.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.