Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On my 89 1500 I have been getting a strong gas smell when running the bike. No gas under bike, no leaks in tray by the gas cap. Any suggestions?

·
Still Learning
13,274 Posts
Pull the seat off and see if there is a leak in the fuel hose between the fuel pump and the gas filter. Sometimes the clamps are weak and cause a slight leakage,
Have you replaced the gas filter yet? Now would be a good time to. Lift the radio panel up to gain easier access than through the fuel door. Napa #3003 is a great replacement for @ $5,
If the hose clamps on the fuel lines are the stock spring clamps, replace with heavy duty fuel injection type clamps. They may be weak from age.
Other than that you will need to remove the side shelter panels and check for the carbs leaking from your saying the petcock is not leaking(are you 100% sure?)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The bike with the gas smell is back in Canada. I had it apart and there was nothing wet with gas but will change out the filter and have a closer look at everything when I get back there. Peacock is not leaking 100% Asa friend made the same suggestion. Thanks for the input

·
Still Learning
13,274 Posts
You are welcome
Did you bring a bike down with you?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Bought another one the 96 1500 for AZ. Fixing her up and planing to do some riding around the lower states.

·
Still Learning
13,274 Posts
Send a pm if you are riding over this way. Lots of great riding here.

·
Premium Member
456 Posts
You might have a slow leak at a carb fitting or float bowl mating surface. Sometimes they can 'weep' a bit of fuel to make an odor from a hot engine, but evaporate before any evidence gets to the ground.

·
Premium Member
22 Posts
I just had my carbs rebuilt by a very reputable Honda shop and, although I can't see any leaks, when I park it in the garage there is a very strong gas smell. Never had this issue before the work. Any ideas? Bike never ran so good before but the wife is over the smell getting into the house.

·
Premium Member
2000 GL1500SE
3,349 Posts
Open the gas filler lid and see if it looks wet around the vacuum petcock in front of the gas cap. Those are known to develop leaks.

·
Premium Member
22 Posts
Thanks Larry, I'll check it out.

·
Still Learning
13,274 Posts

·
Premium Member
22 Posts
Well, I took a good look at the tray and its bone dry there. I did find a crack in the hose that come off the gas cap though. So I'll be replacing that this weekend and see if the fumes get any better. I'll let you know what I find.

·
Registered
3,235 Posts
On my 89 1500 I have been getting a strong gas smell when running the bike. No gas under bike, no leaks in tray by the gas cap. Any suggestions?
So... does this smell usually follow a predictable period AFTER a heavy Mexican meal?

:raspberry:

T

·
Premium Member
22 Posts
Naw... that's a methane smell.... this is different, more like Regular with 10% Ethanol! :)

·
Premium Member
41 Posts
Gas smell

My 99 was doing the same thing, I could only smell it when the bike was cold, took the air cleaner box out and started it and could see gas dripping, it was from the float bowl cover or the acc, pump, parts have been ordered to change both gaskets or o ring. Never could smell gas when the bike was hot. solaro

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.