Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 1991 1500 Se has no compression Impossible yes that what I thought.
Two mornings in a row engine started very rough and noisy would not clear up . Next day engine spun over as if the plugs had been removed, why.. So far this is what I have done. Removed timing belt cover ,belts good timing mark on, crank pulley on mark, marks on timing pulley also both on All plugs removed no compression on any cylinder, Gauges do not register. Valve cover off on left side valves moving engine pumping oil, put straw in plug hole turned engine by hand could feel piston moving up and down. 122,000 k on engine Rottela T6 5 w 40 oil, last oil change 500 killometers ago. Also checked to see if key ways on crank drive pulley for belts was OK. Maybe next step is to pull off one of the heads. If I can not find problem I guess my riding days are over.At 82 years old maybe it`s time to hang up my helmet.
Foster Rathbone aka Goldbike

·
Premium Member
1,232 Posts
Search the threads, I am not a 100% sure but I seem to remember something about pumped up lifters that won't allow the valves to seat properly.

·
Premium Member
12,868 Posts
Hello and Welcome . You have enjoyed riding far to long and far to quit now ;) . I hope you enjoy the forum and find the help you seek , so you can get back to the road .

This phenomonem has come up serveral times of late . The valve lifters seem to pump up and hold to much oil . I recall a method where you but the bike on centerstand , put in gear and beging to rotate the rear wheel in reverse to bleed this oil off ( might be simpler with plugs removed ) . Dont know why it happes .
I cant find the several threads about this . But i have located one where I copy/pasted info I had found previuosly . Its the second post of the thread .I hope this gives you some direction to look in .
LINK : GL1500 Valve Problem - Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums

Be sure to come back and let us know how its going .

·
Premium Member
1,245 Posts
Welcome to the forum :

your in good hands and soon you will ride again DO NOT HANG YOU HELMET YET...

·
Registered
239 Posts
Has the bike set for a while? If so. This is what I am thinking. That old gas has gummed up the intake valves and they are slightly stuck open OR piston hit them in the process.
Have seen several get slightly sticky valves and customers rev them out to "clear them out" and piston hits valve.
If you could look at the piston about half way down in bore. You may see a shiny spot on piston(towards top/half moon looking). This would cause low or lost compression on at 3 cylinders.

As far as lifter pumping up and holding too much oil. The lifter only travels so much. How in the world would the lifter hold to much oil? That goes back to valve sticking. Keep in mind that the valve springs on these engines are not very strong. ANY gum on the valve would stick it open.

·
Premium Member
12,868 Posts
bones , I dont know how the lifter overpumps , but there have been several reports on this forum .

·
Registered
239 Posts
The ONLY time I remove the lifter is to replace it or rebuild the engine. The lifter in a GL1500 and VT1100 I think PC800 should never have to be removed to "make work". The valves in these engines DO NOT require any checking once installed properly.
Why would some one remove it to bleed it? Unless it is making noise, you have other issues.

·
Administrator
27,914 Posts
As far as lifter pumping up and holding too much oil. The lifter only travels so much. How in the world would the lifter hold to much oil? That goes back to valve sticking. Keep in mind that the valve springs on these engines are not very strong. ANY gum on the valve would stick it open.

We don't know but it does happen and quite often lately it seems. Why turn it over backward I can't figure, the adjusters can't tell which way the cam is turning, but that seems to work usually.

·
Administrator
27,914 Posts
Maybe the oil pump works like a vacuum pump in reverse!:)
The thing is you are not going to spin it fast enough to make it pump anything either way.

·
Premium Member
191 Posts
I had the same thing happen to our 1989 1500.
I lost compression in all cylinders because the lifters wouldn't bleed down!
I ended up taking each lifter out one at a time and bleeding them down with a 1/16th inch drill bit. It shows how to do it in the Honda manual.
I don't know what caused it and it has happened again.
If you do a search here you will find this isn't the first time this has happened.
If you have any questions I will help if I can.

·
Premium Member
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Re 1500 with no compression

Guess I won`t hang up my helmet after all. I have it running again. I removed rocker arm block and cam shaft on left side only. This left all valves on left bank closed. With timing belt still on right head, turned engine over and I had compression. With rocker arm block and cam off over night I reinstalled both. Installed timing belt on left side , with valve cover still off and oil pan under left bank I cranked engine over and it came to life. Re installed valve cover and started engine, a little noisy at first and lots of smoke then quieted down and ran like it had always done before . If I only took off left side and now it is running on both banks why did right bank regain compression? I also put a half a bottle of sea foam in oil. Why with no compression on both sides and I only worked on left is it running Were adjusters all pumped up and now leaked down I will never know.
Foster Rathbone (aka )goldbike

·
killer driller
781 Posts
Glad to hear your running, if it ever happens again try putting on center stand and rotating rear tire backwards , might just save you some wrenching if it doesn't work it only took a minute

·
Premium Member
1,245 Posts
Great New This is a new season to enjoy......

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.