Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thanks to anyone who reads and will take time to help me out. My husband was a member of this forum but passed away 13 months ago. I've taken over responsibility for our 1993 Goldwing 1500 which, I think I understand this correctly, is "double dark side".
I need help with the tire pressure and what it should be. Tires placed on vehicles, I understand to look at the sidewall and get the correct tire pressure but does that apply to the bike situation?
Front tire on the Goldwing is a Bridgestone Battlax BT45 tire.
Rear tire is Austone.
Thanks in advance for any info.

·
Premium Member
6,638 Posts
Sorry for your loss. Do you know his screen name here?
For the tires I would start at about 35 PSI front and rear.

·
Premium Member
82 Posts
NoNoNo, the tire pressures on the tire are not for any car.
They are for the tire extremes.
Correct tire pressures are on the car (or bike)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

He didn't post often but he read the forum quite often. He gained a lot of information and became very knowledgeable about the 1500's.
Thanks for reply.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
To GLJim....

For my car I've used the tire pressure recorded on my receipt when I bought new tires a few months ago. I figured it would be different for different vehicles.
Thanks for your input. Y'all will probably seeing more questions concerning this bike.
I love the Goldwing and miss riding!

·
Premium Member
6,638 Posts
Thanks to anyone who reads and will take time to help me out. My husband was a member of this forum but passed away 13 months ago. I've taken over responsibility for our 1993 Goldwing 1500 which, I think I understand this correctly, is "double dark side".
I need help with the tire pressure and what it should be. Tires placed on vehicles, I understand to look at the sidewall and get the correct tire pressure but does that apply to the bike situation?
Rear tire is Austone.
It is not a "carved in stone" adjustment. If you inflate in the 35 to 40 PSI range you should be fine. :)

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
59,708 Posts

He didn't post often but he read the forum quite often. He gained a lot of information and became very knowledgeable about the 1500's.
Thanks for reply.
Jo,
"most of us" set the TPSI at about 42 on the front, and 43-44 on the rear.

but, as long as it is at 36 or above, you will be fine....
riding double, you will want to use the Side Wall pressure of 44 psi

·
Administrator
26,177 Posts
I think most people using an Austone run the pressure pretty high, like in the 50 PSI range to keep it from feeling squirmy.

Reactions: dingdong

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks to all of you! I figured this would be the place to come for answers and feedback.
Much appreciated!

·
Premium Member
3,741 Posts
To GLJim....

For my car I've used the tire pressure recorded on my receipt when I bought new tires a few months ago. I figured it would be different for different vehicles.
Thanks for your input. Y'all will probably seeing more questions concerning this bike.
I love the Goldwing and miss riding!
JoC, A few members here will be able to answer most (maybe all) of your questions....!!.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Rear tire is Austone.
Just to clear up a few things. The pressure on the side of a tire is the max. pressure it can hold. Not recommended to be at max. The recommended pressure on a car for example, is on a placard in the glove box, console or the drivers door jamb. Usually. Some are in the trunk on the spare cover or other stranger places. As for motorcycles??? My opinion is the operator’s manual. The manufacturer designs and specs their machines for a specific purpose. I am in the belief, you can do what you want, but if you’re smarter than ALL the people involved in the design and build of a machine, then have at it. Otherwise, it’s always best to follow factory specs and not try to reinvent the wheel. Here is a snap shot of the GL1500 owners manual. You can clearly see they prefer 33 psi. in the front, regardless. Then 36 or 41 in the rear depending on load. I know this is old and tires are different now, but the game is still the same. I would use this as a baseline and go from there. Good luck and stay safe!!!

·
Premium Member
3,741 Posts
Tetech923, The original post indicated the bike has a "car vehicle" tire on the rear wheel and different tire on the front wheel..

Your post addresses tire pressures for "motorcycle" tires.

Do you think your post will answer the questions in the original post......?????

What did I miss....?????

Also, the PSI recommendations from Honda for tires are based on the Dunlop tires which are installed at the assembly plants.

There is one brand of motorcycle tire that is constructed considerable stronger than the Dunlop (and some other brands) and the best PSI for it would not be the Honda recommendation.

I got the best PSI recommendation for that brand motorcycle tire from the "tire manufacturer" in England. Yes, they had tested them on the bike....!!!!

Your mileage may differ. But I ran 5 sets of those tires and have just a little experience with them....!!

·
Administrator
26,177 Posts
Just to clear up a few things. The pressure on the side of a tire is the max. pressure it can hold. Not recommended to be at max. The recommended pressure on a car for example, is on a placard in the glove box, console or the drivers door jamb. Usually. Some are in the trunk on the spare cover or other stranger places. As for motorcycles??? My opinion is the operator’s manual. The manufacturer designs and specs their machines for a specific purpose. I am in the belief, you can do what you want, but if you’re smarter than ALL the people involved in the design and build of a machine, then have at it. Otherwise, it’s always best to follow factory specs and not try to reinvent the wheel. Here is a snap shot of the GL1500 owners manual. You can clearly see they prefer 33 psi. in the front, regardless. Then 36 or 41 in the rear depending on load. I know this is old and tires are different now, but the game is still the same. I would use this as a baseline and go from there. Good luck and stay safe!!!
She is running a car tire on the rear and a different front tire that what came on it. The recommended pressures are for the original tires and for best traction, they don't consider or care how long they won't last like that.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Rear tire is Austone.

Here is the absolute best way to determine if a tire is over or under inflated:

1. Take and record the cold tire pressures.
2. Ride the bike long enough to get the tires up to temperature.
3. Take and record the hot tire pressures.

If the Hot pressure is MORE than 4 PSI above the Cold pressure, the tire is UNDER INFLALTED.
If the Hot pressure is LESS than 4 PSI above the Cold pressure, the tire is OVER INFLATED.

Tire temp is a function of side wall flexing. A low tire will have more flex and consequently more heat to cause pressure to go up. Heat kills tires. This is way Ford Explores and other SUV had so many premature tire failures AT SPEED back in the late '90s. An over inflated tire does the exact opposite with the added "benefit" of producing a harsh ride.

·
Administrator
26,177 Posts
If the Hot pressure is MORE than 4 PSI above the Cold pressure, the tire is UNDER INFLALTED.
If the Hot pressure is LESS than 4 PSI above the Cold pressure, the tire is OVER INFLATED.
That is depending on how much moisture is in the air. More moisture = more increase in pressure.

·
Pwhoever
3,161 Posts
I know on my 1500, for the BT-45 front tire, I had to run it around 44-46psi and that worked best. My last tire was an Austone but dont recall what pressure I used on that. IIRC, it was upwards to 48psi too and then I didnt get any wiggle.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts