Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
533 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Hi! folks, have got the carbys ready to remove, the four large Phillips head screws in the picture doI have to remove these to clean the carbs. I cant get these screws out they are frozen in. Also cant seem to source anything to soak the carbs in does anyone have any idea of what to use? What is the best way to attack this project, thanks Bob in Oz

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,379 Posts
imported post

get an impact screwdriver: http://www.samstagsales.com/images/hz2272a.jpg

with the carbs off the bike, have someone to hold the assembly in the air while you hit the screwdriver. that way the assembly will be safe.

dont soak the carbs in carb cleaner fluid. you will damage them.. use fuel and lots of fuel and maybe seafoam. but only fuel does the job and compressed air.

·
Premium Member
45 Posts
imported post

You need to completely disassemble the carbs, all o-rings etc.
and use some sort of carb cleaner, fuel or gas will not
clean fuel deosits or varnish, that is what caused the problem in the first place. Have fun.

·
Administrator
26,180 Posts
imported post

If it's available there get a bucket of berrymans carb cleaner to soak them in. As stated above, make sure you remove all the soft parts. After soaking wash them with hot water to remove the cleaner. A dishwasher works great but make sure the wife isn't home.

·
Premium Member
533 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

Cant buy stuff to soak carbs in here in Oz would lacquer thinner or acetone do the job?

·
Premium Member
1,437 Posts
imported post

Take the carb off as a unit. After removed, then start to separate and disassemble.

·
Premium Member
1,424 Posts
imported post

whack em loose where they sit...leave em there(loose)use impact...if you dont have one use big phillips and whack it once or twice ...use some pen oil too...when you have em apart...he!...he!!:shock: you can clean em with spray and a fine brush ect.....unless you have a very bad dirty assy....chamfer the hole edge of the little box that covers the jet orings...or you might have to do it all twice:D...i hope you know what your doing!!... cause gettin it all back together right 1st time means luck and skill is with you!

·
Premium Member
533 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
imported post

Thanks for the advice, have had a go with the big Phillips screwdriver and hammer, also the impact driver, no go these screws have been in there for 20 years and they aint coming out easy. Looks likeI will have to drill them out and use an easy out?:?:?:?

·
Premium Member
14,148 Posts
imported post

You're going to have 4 on the bottom side also that will probably give you a hard time too.

I used the impact driver on mine.

When doing the top ones that you are looking at, I set the carbs on a 2x4 to avoid damaging the bottom side.

When doing the bottom ones you have to be very careful how you position it, because you have two little nozzles on the top that stick above the top of the flat surface, don't bend them.

Check out my carb page:

http://www.hrot.org/martino/carb/index.htm

·
Premium Member
14,148 Posts
imported post

Wait!!!!!!!!!!!!

I just looked at your picture again, your carbs are still in the bike......

leave them together and pull them out of the bike as one single unit, then work on taking them apart.

·
Honda Guru
2,043 Posts
imported post

Re-reading the posts I'm somewhat confused. If you don't already know... these screws you're looking at (the frozen ones you speak of) don't hold the carbs ONTO the engine. To remove the carbs you need to loosen the manifold clamps under the carbs. You'll need a long #2 phillips screwdriver to loosen the clamps... they are visible with a flashlight under the carbs. Look from both sides... the right carb clamp unscrews from the right side of the bike, the left carb clamp unscrews from the left side of the bike.
You also have to remove the coolant tubes that attach at the front of the carbs. Drain the coolant prior to removing the tubes. They are kind of a bear to remove... I use 2 sets of long needlenose plyers... one set is straight, the other set I put a 90 degree bend in them. The straight set I use to remove the hose clamps... the bent set I use to pull down on the hoses to remove.

If you end up having to drill out the screws you should remove the carbs from the engine before drilling. You don't want any debris getting into the carbs and possibly into the engine intake manifolds.
Hope this helps.

·
Premium Member
596 Posts
imported post

Heard it said that you can use coke to clean the carbs with never done it myself but at least its a cheap option (bet pepsi works just as well)

·
Premium Member
533 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
imported post

Hi! I know that the carbs are held on with twoclamps, have bought an extra long Phillips driver to lossen them. WhenI tried to remove the four screws on top to have a look at what was underneath they would not come out. It will be easier to remove the four screws once the carbs are on the bench top.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.