Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
455 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Am looking at a really nice 1500. Only problem according to owner is a leaking gas hose. PO or someone must of had a gas? pump or something changed and a hose that's hard to get to is loose and leaking?? Owner said carb's have to be pulled to tighten the hose clamp?? Don't know if this is true or not but I don't want to buy a bike and have to pull the carb's first thing!!

Anyone know what he's talking about?? He seems very honest and up front. This is a 93 with 73,000 on the clock. Oh ya, It's black!!!! Think I can get it for around 5 grand.

·
Premium Member
5,502 Posts
imported post

I do not know the problem with the bike naturally, but where there is a will there is a way!! I have bent screwdrivers, welded longer sections of rod to them, bent them at a 45 degree or two bends, or used a set of 18 inch long needle nose pliers, or just made a tool to do something. Cut off allen wrenches, bent socket extensions all kinds of things.

I bet there is a way to get to it, pull it off cut the end for good hose and re secure it.

Kit

·
Premium Member
14 Posts
imported post

john424 wrote:
Owner said carb's have to be pulled to tighten the hose clamp?? Don't know if this is true or not but I don't want to buy a bike and have to pull the carb's first thing!!
Been turning wrenches for half a century and NEVER ran into a vehicle that had to have it's fuel hoses(even one) connected before the carb went on. It may be that the PO meant that you can't get to the clamp very well because of it's position in relation to the carb. That's fine, just cut the hose above the clamp, use some long needle nose and long screwdriver, like Kit described, turn it around and remove the clamp and little piece of cut hose. Put a new clamp on thehose, tighten it down and off you go :)

·
Piled Higher and Deeper
4,513 Posts
imported post

Maybe the PO is just repeating someones story.. Sounds more like something leaking between the carbs (if it is correct that carbs must be removed) in which case it is probalby something like an Oring, not a hose. I understand that even the carb bowl gasket replacement requires carb removal.. I don't know how the carb bodies are joined on a GL1500, 'cause I haven't had them apart.. but on a 1100, gas can leak if the bodies are not properly sealed together..

There are probably a few here that have had the 1500 carbs apart that could shed some light on that.. but I wouldn't hang on the PO use of the word "hose".. how would he know if he can't get to it....

·
Premium Member
455 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

Ya, I've altered a few tools in my lifetime. This guys not even sure it's a hose leaking. He had a Goldwing Grue tell him the carbs need pulled to tighten whatever's loose??? Gonna talk to the owner again and try to narrow this down. It's got to be something more then a hose. Something under the carbs that's hard to get to according to him.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

For the age and mileage on the bike the price doesn't sound bad, if it looks good and runs well other than the leak it would be worth the money. Pulling the carbs if it's even necessary really isn't brain surgery. Besides it's winter what else have you got to do? The only downside to that 1500 is that you won't ride your 1100 much again once you've been on the silent six powered magic carpet.

·
Premium Member
455 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

exavid wrote:
For the age and mileage on the bike the price doesn't sound bad, if it looks good and runs well other than the leak it would be worth the money. Pulling the carbs if it's even necessary really isn't brain surgery. Besides it's winter what else have you got to do? The only downside to that 1500 is that you won't ride your 1100 much again once you've been on the silent six powered magic carpet.
Your right exavid, it's definatley winter here. Goin to take a look again. Right now is last 2 days of Deer season. THEN we'll go look at bike. He keeps it in a garage so at least it's not out in the snow and weather.

·
Premium Member
1,424 Posts
imported post

On my 1200, the hose to the left bank of carbs is a PITA to get to with "normal" tools. Luckily, I have a VERY extended phillips screwdriver that will reach in from the right side and tighten the clamp...

if the clamp was faced the right direction when installed, screw-side up and facing right.

·
Premium Member
2,998 Posts
imported post

In my area of Ontario that bike would be going for almost 3 times that amount.I would definitely spend a day(or whatever it takes to cure the leak)for that price.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.