Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Anti-Guru
2,711 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

The reflector portion of my headlamp assembly is misbehaving (I think) :(

With the rubber bulb seals and both bulbs removed, I'm able to "move" the right side of thereflector about an inch with no appreciable resistance.

The reflector's motion is isloated to the "right" bulb's socket area. The whole reflector kinda rotates in the housing like a right-to-left sweep. I'm able to get the "right" bulb's socket to travel about 1 full inch (total distance) with finger pressure, and about half-that using gravity (flipping the assembly face-up to face-down).

I'm gonna dig through the factory books here to walk through the beam aiming (yaw) process to see if some articulating mount has come loose or has been over-adjusted.

When the headlamp is assembled, the rubber bulb-back seals tend to hold everything in alognment, so I don't really see any motion in the light patterns as I ride.

My questions to all with 1500 knowledge are:

#1 Just how "free to move" is the reflector in your headlamp assembly once the rubber bulb-back seals are removed.

#2 Should I be shopping for a replacement headlamp assembly?

Thanks all.

·
Anti-Guru
2,711 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
imported post

OK, I'm on to #2 :(

After scoping this thing throught he lower rubber-plugged hole on the front to look at the follower for the reflector's elevation adjuster... Yeah - the bit of plastic that couples the reflector to the threaded follower is busted. Apparantly, this is bit would normally act as a center pivot for the bottom of the reflector assembly. The lead-screw on the bottom face of the headlamp assembly would adjust this forward or rearward to set the base elevation of the reflector behind the lens.

Anyone got a headlamp assy just sittin' around?

·
Premium Member
742 Posts
imported post

Mine is like that too. It was supposed to be an adjustment for the high beam only. Mine moved a couple of rounds and the high beam moved down. I turned the screw a cuple of more rounds and it didn't do anything and then i noticed the reflector was loose but it still shines light the same level as the other side on high beam and low beam. I was going to order a light assy for a 1998 ----33100-MAM-A80 for 201.18 but for now i am not going to spend the money.

·
Premium Member
991 Posts
imported post

That can happen Stan. The only problem with it is when riding over bumps, the reflector will jump and bounce the light beam around a little. It will probably annoy some cagers, but who cares about that? ;)

·
Anti-Guru
2,711 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

:smiler: true...

I was looking at why I was going thru low-beam bulbs so often and only on the right side... I'm thinking that this extra range of motion may be at fault :(

I was looking at the pretty clear ('98+) headlamps, but they don't tickle my fancy on this old of a 1500 (now on a two-toned SE, I think the newer lenses are quite nice, but this is on the ol'88).

I'll be off to my local recycle/scrap/breaker's yard here today to see what can be had... If anybody needs me to shop a few Goldwing items while I'm there, let me know ;)

Thoughts of opening the assembly and milling a replacement bit have already begun, so I best be quick to find an off-the-shelf replacement :gunhead:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.