Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
About once a year, I will find that my headlights are off. It is always the 15 amp headlight fuse. When I replace the blown fuse, all is fine for another year. Would it cause a problem if I went to a 20 amp fuse?
Bob

·
Premium Member
4,328 Posts
It could/might melt a wire and start a fire, short out the system/fry something??? Most likely there is a problem someplace in the circuit better to find it

·
Still Learning
13,274 Posts
Is there any accessories tapped into your headlight circuit???? That is the most likely problem. Some misdirected soul may have tapped into the circuit to get power to an accessory rather than running a new circuit from the battery or best is from a relay powered accessory fuse panel to protect the bikes wiring harness from overloaded circuits.

The fuse is designed to protect the bikes wiring. Do Not go with a bigger amp fuse unless you don't value your ride. Or do you like Russian Reulet?

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
The only time I've blown fuses for the headlight, was due to a broken on/off switch for it... I would therefore suggest removing the switch from the housing, and dis-assembling it to verify that it does not have any obviously broken pieces. In my case it was due to a broken plastic holder for the sliding metal contacts... which allowed the contacts to mis-align during operation, causing a short.

·
Still Learning
13,274 Posts
Bob

As Alex said it could be a bad or just a dirty hi-low switch. Check it out if no accessories are added.

Clean all your switches with Electrical Contact Cleaner.
http://www.crcindustries.com/ei/content/prod_detail.aspx?PN=03070

Be sure to post a reply here in this thread to what you find to help others later down the line that read this thread using the forum search tool looking for an answer to their problem.

This is a good write up on adding a safe accessory fuse panel so the bike's wiring harness isn't overtaxed.
http://goldwingtech.info/auxwiring/auxpwrwiring.html

·
Premium Member
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Possible Problem??

In checking my service manual, I find that it calls for 45 watt headlight bulbs. A couple of years ago, I had a bulb burn out and I replaced both bulbs with 65 watt bulbs. Could this be my problem?
Bob

·
Premium Member
2000 GL1500SE
3,349 Posts
Yes, I think that is your problem. You are pulling an extra 40 watts which would be about 3 amps extra on that fuse. You have used up all the reserve capacity of the of the designed load of that fuse.

·
Anti-Guru
2,711 Posts
In checking my service manual, I find that it calls for 45 watt headlight bulbs. A couple of years ago, I had a bulb burn out and I replaced both bulbs with 65 watt bulbs. Could this be my problem?
Bob
Nope Bob-- 65W is about 5.5amps, so 2 of em are 11amps; well below the fuse.

Since the 25A "HEAD" fuse provides power to the HI beam relay and the LO beam relay, I would suspect exactly what's posted above...(rephrased here):
  1. Do you have ANY light or accessory that turns on or off when you switch your headlamp from Low beam to High beam (fog lights, Driving lights, etc..) [suspect this added accessory's installation]
  2. Park your bike facing a wall with the bike running and headlamp on then slowly, very slowly move your headlamp switch between HI and LO positions. Looking at the light reflected fromthe wall you should see THREE distinct looks to the headlamp output, you'll see a low beam, and a high beam, AND also BOTH beams on somewhere in the middle of the HI/LO travel. If you cannot see a clear difference between HI and that 'middle' spot where both HI and LO are on, it's likely that your Low Beam relay is sticking on (seen that a few times for US models where there's no wa to shut the headlamps off)... By itself this shouldn't cook the fuse, but if you flip to HI you'll be runing the Low and HIgh output filaments at the same time (so a 55/65W lamp would draw 120W; that'd be around 20Amps for both bulbs).
Worth noting is that the typical 15Amp ATC fuse will hold 20A for a full second or more.

While some may protest, asyour chasing this down, it may be handy to purchase a 15A ATC style circuit breaker (the manyual reset ones are handy to let you know you've cooked the circuit, but the auto reset ones will restore the safety of a headlamp without extra effort) -- I see that the "when does it blow?" question is difficult to answer - adding a small 12V buzzer (or a lamp taht you can see) across the fuse will help you identify when the fuse (or circuit breaker) opens.

Eventhough the 65W bulbs are not your issue, if you have a small accessory load (that you can't find) changing back to a 45W bulbset will allow whatever this mystery load to draw about 3.5 more amps from the circuit before blowing the fuse...

·
Premium Member
2000 GL1500SE
3,349 Posts
Ok Stan, you got me! I popped off without checking the circuit diagram first and finding out what the current draw on that fuse should be. You are correct (as usual) about it should be able to handle the 65w bulbs without any undue stress if nothing else has been wired into the circuit by at PO.

·
Premium Member
2,790 Posts
there is also the possibility that either the bulb connectors or fuse contacts need cleaning which if dirty may be causing a larger amp draw thru the circuit which eventually burns out the fuse,does the fuse appear to have "overheated",a fuse that is carrying more than 80% of its stated rating will overheat and "melt", a long story

·
Premium Member
521 Posts
Bob, I don't know if this is worth considering, but I can't think of any reason (apart from perhaps legal ones in some States?) why you could not install a 35watt H4 HID car kit into your 1500?...70watt total drain and more available for accessories if wanted?.. The difference in lighting output and road prescence being the main advantage surely? ;)
Cheers,
Peter.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.