Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
402 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

does it really work for you guys??
since i got this bike i always wondered....

i opened the "belly windows", i putted both the hot air vents on hot.....but to me it seams nothing warm comes out of it......or it seams a slightly cool mixed with cold air.

any suggestion for cold christmass time driving? :cheesygrin:

·
Anti-Guru
2,711 Posts
imported post

Any heat that you see from those vents will come as air across the radiator...

The two tricks I use to help with the heat output are:

1 - Close off the normal radiator air outlets to direct 100% of radiator airflow out the heat vents
(removeable plugs like these can be easily made, or bought for under $15)
http://www.vpaccessories.com/accessories.htm

2 - Reduce the airflow INTO the radiator using a grille curtain or similar to restrict air flowing into the front of the radiators. I've not seen a commercial product for this, but I have seen aluminum foil, cardboard, vinyl cloth, etc. used to reduce the airflow. - Whatever path you take here, ensure that it's something that you can adjust or remove in a few seconds if you see your engine temps rise too quickly. (Slowing the airflow not only forces the flow to be warmer, but alsodecreases the "breezy" feel of the outlet air on your lower leg area)

You will need to pay attention to your running temps... but reducing the amount of air that's available to the radiator will increase the output air temperature significantly.

Reducing the air flow at your feet with a set of foot "rain shields" can help to mitigate some temp loss there also. ... But this begins to move away from discussion on the 1500's OEM heat

·
Premium Member
402 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

i fully understand your point, but : does this heating system really works or it is just a fancy non sense thing? lol

could it be that something is disconnected??

on the left side it is connected, then i dunno where it goes and or what kind of turns it does....

i can't get any pictures of tec, spec that explains and shows that.

·
Premium Member
1,390 Posts
imported post

Take your sidepanels off and make sure the door actually close to provide warm air out of the vents. It's just a small plastic pin that can easily jump out of its track.

·
Token Canuk
8,236 Posts
imported post

The effects of the "heating" are minimal, I find good clothing with winter lining your best bet. I ride in temps below freezing quite comfortable. :waving::action::action:

·
Still Learning
13,270 Posts
imported post

My bike has aftermarket heat deflectors(discontinued) that the original owner put on that capture the heat coming out the side vents and have another vent that directs it to you in addition to the stock vents. They help some compared to riding a street triple with no fairing.
Heated clothing
or good air force issue fleece long johns(these kept me comfortable on my return last month, Nov, from NH).
Heated grips will be going on mine rather than heated gloves as the grips give you the freedom of choice of gloves to wear, spring, summer, fall or winter.

Attachments

·
Anti-Guru
2,711 Posts
imported post

Really you can kinda get a "look" at how it works by looking into the side fins on the fairing: The inlet sides of the cooling fans are "sealed" with a foam weaher strip to the rear of the radators; and the oulet of those fans blow right outta the side fins (with the fans off, the airflow follows the same path). Looking into the fins, turn a bit to look rearward... you'll see where the lower vent there is ducted into the same space as the side fins (try placing a lamp near the outlet of your heater vents, and look from the fins side to find the light when the vents are in the "H" position (lever=downward). The heat vents are just an alternate airflow path 'out" from the rear of the fans...

I seem to remember hearing of a test once where someone measured the outlet air temperature from the "heater" on a fully warmed bike ... I believe that the "increase" in temperature from that measurement was less than 10*F over the ambient temperature... so if you're in 20*F air, you can 'hope' to open the vent to push a volume of up-to 30*F air past your shins :)

There is a noticible difference, though I don't think you'll ever be ridin in shorts and getting 100*F air outta the vents, but allowing a smaller amount of air to be exposed to more heat does help increase the output -- Especaially at a stop where the fans kick on :)

I mentioned the "weatehr stripping foam above -- the fan-to-Radiator, the fan duct-to-fairing grille area, and the fan-duct-to-heater vent are all sealed with a lightweight foam tape product... this stuff will age and allow for air leaks -- Leaks will allow cold (and hot) air to mix where you prolly don't want it to mix, again -- not much to be gained, but worth replacing that tape the next time you're inside the fairings with access to the fans or inner faring ducts. (in summer, good seals will allow the fans to be most effective and also to blow the heated air OUTTA the side fins...)

... but as above -- really not gonna be a world-warmer manage your body warmth, airflow, and think about supplimenting your body's warmth directly (electrics)

·
Premium Member
3,318 Posts
imported post

My experience with the "heating system" on the 1500SE is that the vents by your knees are pretty much useless for getting any heat to you. The ones down by your feet that is controlled by the knob on the right side of the dash does a little to help with getting you some heat to your lower legs. Better than not having them. However, down here in south Alabama we don't get much cold weather.

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
60,153 Posts
imported post

I have had them on both of my 1500 SEs.

IMO, they are pretty much useless and I never pay attention to whether they are open or closed. Can't tell any difference on mine.

·
Oh - THAT guy...
3,258 Posts
imported post

I notice my foot heater vents in the summer when I forget to close them.
As for the shin ones, I notice the warm air at slower speeds (say 45 and under) because I ride with lined carhart pants is all. It is not enough to make a huge difference, but the occasional waft of warmer feeling air is psychologically refreshing. If I am wearing rain pants- nada.
I also run those outside smoked vent covers through the winter and ride year round.

·
Premium Member
675 Posts
imported post

I really like the heat and wouldn't be without voluntarily. I also find that is most effective if you block the radiator air outlets with the above pictured plexiglass? covers.

The heat outlets in the lower fairing at your knees is pretty much useless though!

T.

·
Premium Member
675 Posts
imported post

.............oh, and if you do use the radiator outlet covers, you DO have to watch your temperatures in stop and go traffic if the outside temperature is not really cold.

T.

·
Premium Member
28,832 Posts
imported post

I have a set of the blockers that go into the Vents. They raise the airflow considerably. So the temp is directly Equivilent to your radiator heat. So if your temp needle is staying all the way down you will not get much heat. I will admit that with the vent blockers I noticed the bike running a little hotter in freezing temperatures. Also the temp coming out is warmer but the real trick for me is heated Hand grips. Also for those Sub-Zero Temps I have the battery operated heated clothing gives you about 5 hours of heat on a charge. So far that is all I need along with a Good insulated coat and Pants.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.