Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Sometimes when I start my engine there is a loud "crack" or spark sound from the left side. Only happens sometimes. Would anyone have an idea what to look for?

·
Premium Member
11,739 Posts
imported post

Hi Willy

That Happens on a lot of wings from time to time ,,I think it is only the starter solinoid disengaging ,,nothing to worry about...It happens on my own 1500 sometimes .We were only talking about the same subject last sunday one of the lads had the same noise coming from his 1500 ,the general agreement was it comes from the starter ...Ciaran

·
Premium Member
1,028 Posts
imported post

Check your spark plug leads for a good connection. The plug caps on the 1500 sit tight in the head but don't always fit tight on the plugs themselves and occassionally the spark has to jump from the cap to the plug, hence the loud "crack".

Hate to disagree with Ciaran on this, but the starters on the GL1500 are bulletproof. I can tell you that in the last 5 years Honda UK have sold exactly ZERO starter motors. That's a good sign.

·
Premium Member
11,739 Posts
imported post

You are probably right Jason ,but it does happen on a lot of 1500s ,,it is one of those things when you go to look for it you cannot find where it is coming from and it stops happening and then for no reason maybe a few weeks later just after you start the bike it cracks again ,,,it sounds like static jumping to earth ,I have noticed it only happens on mine after a long trip ..we should put up a prize for whoever finds out exactly what it is .....I checked my plug leads and everything seemed fine and had the bike serviced and now and again when you least expect it CRACK..it happens again ...maybe I have a ghost ..Cheers Ciaran :?:?:?

·
Premium Member
7,190 Posts
imported post

I had this problem intermittently on my 97 SE when it was brand new! If we are all talking about the same symptoms that is. The loud spark soundon the right side of mine turned out to be the plug cap on the front cylinder.I had to twist each cap with the engine running and the cap gave a huge spark. When I pulled it away I could see some furring in the cap and on the plug end. Remember this was on a NEW bike with only a couple of hundred miles. I cleaned it all up and sprayed WD40 in the cap and that was that. Seems to be common enough, I suppose common sense suggests a spark on startup will most likely turn out to do with the ignition.

·
Premium Member
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

Had a mechanic look at it today, what a palaver to get at the plugs! Anyway, Jason & Steve were right this time. The middle left plug cap was full of white mold so the mechanic cleaned it all up and put in a new set of plugs while they were easy to get at (€30 for a set, OWW).

G

·
0 Posts
imported post

All you guy's that have these problems with your 1500 wings, :( there is just one cure for them all, :D and wingnut is the only one so far that has carried it out. "Get yourself an 1800" and preferably a "RED" one, :p because they are faster. :cool:

·
Premium Member
4 Posts
imported post

I just encountered the same problem on a long trip we just got back from. I noticed that it only happened when it was hot and when I started it back up shortly after I had stopped running it. We were out west and the weather was pretty hot. We were running at pretty good speeds also. I stopped to register in a motel and when I came out to start it I heard the snap I think you are talking about. I don't think it is plugs because I just had brand new ones installed just before this 4000 mile trip. This only happened when it was started soon after shutting it down when it was pretty hot. If I waited for 10 or 15 minutes it would not do it. I think it is something to do with the starter snaping back as soon as the starter disingages when the motor starts. I have a 1997 1500. One other note, the fellow riding with us with the same year bike had the same thing happen a couple of times also. I have taken many trips of long distances and this is the first time I heard this. ( maybe a weak starter spring.)

·
Other side of the pond
3,409 Posts
imported post

I think the lads are probablyy describing different problems. The starter noise is more of a metallic crack sound and the plug lead thing is more like, well a loud spark plug crack (the sound you get when you pull a plug cap with the engine running).

BTW kerney, I see you arethe 100thuser here on this new forum!Welcome, I hope you enjoy it as much as I do.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.