Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,919 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I just searched, and read more than I wanted to - but didn't find the answer to this one:

I've got an '88 1500, that had the famous hesitation problem, then started running so rich it almost shut off. I've read much about the '88 carbs being problematic, and recalled, etc...- so I eBayed myself a carb set from a low-mileage '95, and a pair of Keyster rebuild kits for 'em. These kits come with NO spec's or instructions, whatever.

I've got the '95 carbs on the bench, and I'm going through and cleaning them up, but the overhaul kits come with 3 different main jets (148, 155, 158), and 3 different slow speed jets (50, 60, 65). The '95 carbs used a #148 main jet, and a #65 slow speed jet. I don't have the '88 carbs off yet, so I don't know what is in 'em.

Were there cam, or timing changes between '88 and '95, that would require me to change '95 jet sizes for use in the '88 - or should I just rebuild these to '95 specs, and throw 'em on?? Anyone who has had the carbs off of one of these - knows why I want to get this right the first time :)

Thanks in advance for any help, guys.

·
Premium Member
292 Posts
imported post

:waving:Hi, just looked in my Clymer manual and it says 1988 jet size Primary jet 70, secondary jet 155, pilot jet 50, float level 8mm, pilot screw initial adjustment 3 1/8 turn out. Hope this helps. Jim

·
Premium Member
285 Posts
imported post

I would rebuild the carbs with the same size jets that are in them or you will have the same thing as the 88 carbs. i rebuilt carbs from a 99 and the hesiatation is gone.

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
60,150 Posts
imported post

I also vote for replacing the jets that are in the carbs with the same exact size that you find in them.

This should calibrate the low speed jets to the carb's characteristic.

·
Premium Member
1,437 Posts
imported post

I vote for just cleaning the jets in that 95 carb. :shock::shock:

The hesitation for more pronounce with the 88s, and Honda did come out with a service bulletin for that specific year for the jets, ECM, and ???.

The hesitation on 88s can be extreme, but if yours went rich, you went from one extreme condition to the other and the problem would not be related.

I would also rebuild those 88s and put in the biggest jets. I do not know what you would do with them since you probably never use them. That 88 carb hesitation pissed me off so much to where I would want no doubt not to have a lean condition. :shock::shock::shock:

Just like the guys going to the racetrack when jacking with there Holley carbs and putting in over-sized jets. Over-sized jets will also actually give an engine a little more power. Who care about fouling plugs.

I got frustrated with my 88 hesitation and put on a 97 carb. The 97 carb was clean, but I still took it apart to make sure.

If this wing was an airplane, FAA would have grounded the fleet.

·
Premium Member
596 Posts
imported post

i have a set from 1990 bike and a 1997 bike not had them apart but did remove the sliders to check the diaphrams and the main jet needles are different so most bits in the carbs probably are too

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.