Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Hi all,

Any of you guys ever replaced the LCD display between the clocks. Mine is working BUT the display cracked and it is spreading quite rapidly....... 1500 miles ago it was hardly noticeable, now it covers around 1/3rd of the display.:(

Can you get these as individual parts?

·
Premium Member
805 Posts
imported post

Yes they are replaceable,

Honda P/N 37130-MN5-008 lists for ~$500.00 U.S., can probably find them from a breaker.

·
Premium Member
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

Thanks Tonys96.

Costly for such a small piece. I will start my search of breakers and ebay.;)

·
Premium Member
20 Posts
imported post

Every now and then you find one on eBay but those who bid know their value and they often go for $300+. I found a guy who had a couple of LCDs with the fast clocks and bought one of those for $150 shipped. It would be nice to have a normal clock but to be honest a sticky digital clock from Walmart works too and is lots cheaper;)

·
Other side of the pond
3,409 Posts
imported post

Try and get one from a pre-1996 model as the later ones regularly go bad, more often than the older ones.

·
Premium Member
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

Thanks for the input guys!

Still looking, with little joy so far!

·
Premium Member
437 Posts
imported post

My LCD display was fine on the way to work this morning but when I came back to it this evening, it has a large black partial circle on the right side! Turning the power on and off has made no difference so basically it's FUBAR.

I've looked on ebay and found nothing :(

·
Premium Member
395 Posts
imported post

Yep, I agree with getting an earlier one. My '97 went, (black semi circles both sides). Replaced with one from a '95- ok for a few months then failed the same. Now got one from an '89, (based on the principle it's worked for 20 years). Ok so far, 9 months. These are over £700 new in uk!!...Steve

·
Premium Member
437 Posts
imported post

£700!?!? I can build a custom PC and fit a colour screen in there for less than that!!!!

·
Premium Member
395 Posts
imported post

Nitrowing,
yep- it's a pretty staggering price. I paid £130 for the 1st replacement and 300 dollars for the 2nd one. By the time postage from the US was added and our government took their cut, it was nearly £300. The thing is, it's not just the clock info you lose- it's radio and suspension settings too. You may as well not have these things if you can't use them. I bought this bike after a bad experience with a GL1200, (the usual eletrical mayhem) and was hoping for a bit of reliability. I don't know what I'll do if it goes again. Probably sell the bike and get something else.....Steve

·
Premium Member
437 Posts
imported post

steve worth wrote:
Nitrowing,
yep- it's a pretty staggering price. I paid £130 for the 1st replacement and 300 dollars for the 2nd one. By the time postage from the US was added and our government took their cut, it was nearly £300. The thing is, it's not just the clock info you lose- it's radio and suspension settings too. You may as well not have these things if you can't use them. I bought this bike after a bad experience with a GL1200, (the usual eletrical mayhem) and was hoping for a bit of reliability. I don't know what I'll do if it goes again. Probably sell the bike and get something else.....Steve
This is precisely why I would be more inclined to get a PC and put a colour display in place of the LCD (which is a bit 1980's, eh?). I would only need the inputs to the LCD to send through a serial interface to the PC and then all the same informtion would be available... along with GPS, MP3, video, rear view camera, etc

·
Valkyrie Scum
2,777 Posts
imported post

I have a complete instrument cluster including the lcd from a '88 I would be willing to sell though I have no idea what the shipping would be like to the UK. Send me a PM if you are interested.

·
Premium Member
437 Posts
imported post

Yeah, if I can find out what the inputs are to the old screen, map them to a serial board (RS232) then they can either be fed to a PC or converted to USB to the PC and then displayed on the new screen.
PC wise, I've seen Asus Eee mini laptops for sale for about £100 (I have one of these and bought a 2nd one with a broken screen (£35) that displays fine on a 42" TV!). These little units work off 12Vdc, have no moving parts, run Windows XP or Linux and are the size of a paperback book. Even if I bork the whole experiment, I'd only lose time, not money.
If I can get it to work... :cool:

·
Premium Member
437 Posts
imported post

Has anyone got one of these LCDs handy that they could measure the height and width?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.