Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,837 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

Okay this is a question and a heads up.

I toke my 1500 for a 2 hr trip to see my daughter and grand baby sat. When I arived at her city I stopped to top up the fuel.

Comming out of the gas station I got on my bike . turned the key on and nothing.lights came on on the dash nuetral light was on but would not crank.

This is the second time this has happened and I knew how to start it. I retracted the kick stand put it in gear pulled in the clutch and she fired right up. Got to my daughters and same thing no start in nuetral. even with clutch in and kickstand up?

Sunday mornning it fired up just fine in nuetral and after I got back home it still cranked in nuetral.

Not to shure what would cause this? Also if this happens to you try the in gear clutch in kickstand up routine. It toke me quite a while the first time this happened to figure this out.

Wilf

·
It aint rocket science
3,967 Posts
imported post

With the neutral light on it will make no difference if side stand is up or down. Starter button at handlebar is the next most likely suspect.

JD

·
Administrator
27,929 Posts
imported post

Check the connection on the reverse switch on the right rear of the engine, single wire held on with a screw, and the switch itself. It should be grounded except in reverse.
You don't have to put it in gear to start it, That feature is so you can start it in gear not that it has to be in gear.

·
Premium Member
456 Posts
imported post

I would say replace your reverse lever switch. This is an inexpensive microswitch that works off the reverse lever. I've seen the same (and other similar symptoms) frequently. It's almost always that switch.

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
imported post

dizzy wrote:
I would say replace your reverse lever switch. This is an inexpensive microswitch that works off the reverse lever. I've seen the same (and other similar symptoms) frequently. It's almost always that switch.
> I have to clean mine about once a year, to avoid that problem... Simply spray electrical parts cleaner into the tiny hole on the bottom side of it.

·
Premium Member
1,837 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
imported post

Dave
yes I do have to put it into gear to start it. if it is acting up. The only way it will start is with the kickstand up in gear clutch in. If its in nuetral clutch in stand up will not crank.
wilf

·
Premium Member
4,212 Posts
imported post

MAN-O-MAN....
sure sounds like it's time to get rid of all the safety features and get back to basics.

Basics?
KNOW YOUR MACHINE!
:lash:

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
...sure sounds like it's time to get rid of all the safety features and get back to basics...
+1... Too many break downs resulting from failures of the "safety" devices(Engine & kickstand kill switches; Bank Angle Sensor kill device), leads me to believe that they area really "Danger" (inducing) switches... I throw them all out, and bike runs more reliably than ever.

·
Premium Member
3,073 Posts
Bump

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.