Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Just bought my 5th 1500 and the problem is the bike overheats when in slow traffic or at standstill, the temp gauge only comes up about a third of the way and fans don't come on... Any ideas?

·
Senior Guru
3,873 Posts
imported post

Hi Jok if the temp guage only goes up to 1/3rds how do you know its over heating

·
Premium Member
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

Sorry I should have said a bit more..... It's pushing the water back out the left hand filler next to handlebars totally steaming..... When driving at cruising speed gauge sits pretty low probably about 1/4

·
Senior Guru
3,873 Posts
imported post

I suspect the termostat is faulty but you need to run the engine from cold with the rad cap off and see is there any bubbles in the fluid to rule out a head gasket

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
imported post

bigjok wrote:
...the temp gauge only comes up about a third of the way and fans don't come on...
> Verify that that Temperature Sensor is connected; then remove it and verify that it is clean without any scale buildup on the inner side that contacts the coolent.
> The Sensor is on the bottom of the left radiator, and easily removed after draining the coolent.

> Does this problem occur when the radiator is filled completely, to the top of the radiator cap?... and the reserve tank topped off (to "Full" mark)?

·
Busdriver
1,037 Posts
imported post

I would also check the condition of the rad cap.
Check your coolant level cold.
Does sound like a bad thermostat though.

·
Premium Member
1,074 Posts
imported post

busdriver wrote:
Keep in mind that the fans don't come on in stand still traffic but the problem goes away if the bike is moving. If it were the thermostat, it would not make much of a difference in temp whether the bike was moving or not.

I agree that the fan temp sensor or wiring is faulty.

·
Premium Member
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
imported post

Think thats it sorted, took off the terminal to the thermostatic switch and it was pretty corroded. Grounded the switch and fans came on, cleaned up the terminal and refitted and presto the fans now come on when she starts to get warm so next nice day I will get a run and try her out! Thanks guys for all the advice:applause:

·
751 Posts
imported post

busdriver wrote:
+2 what busdriver said !

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.