Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Premium Member
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I would like to give my 99 Aspencade more power..[I can't leave things alone.]

I am happy with the 1500 and do not want an 1800. I have already added a 4 degree trigger wheel and Cobra mufflers. What else can I do? I was looking at MBL Innovations camshafts, but they offer no warranty on them if they brake. This concerns me since they are reground and not new.

I was also wondering if re-jetting would be worthwhile. Anybody got any suggestions that they know work? Thanks to any that can help.

My bike.

http://hometown.aol.com/dtown1980/myhomepage/profile.html

:waving::waving:

·
Premium Member
860 Posts
imported post

Look up some posts by Goldwinger84. He is trying to develop a fuel injection / turbosystem for wings and I think he has made some other modifications as well.

·
Senior Guru
2,234 Posts
imported post

Rejetting may help performance if the current jetting is off, but, you really have to know what you're doing to get jetting right otherwise you'll lose power and fuel economy. I found on my Wing that the jetting was too rich from the factory and when I installed free flowing mufflers the jetting was then right on.

You can also help performance by making sure the bike is in a perfect state of tune, compression, plugs, wires, resistor boots, camshafts, carb sync,etc. all have to be within specs for best performance.

Now, for the fine stuff, you can use a lighter, but, high quality oil in the engine and rear drive unit. You can make certain the tires are inflated to max pressure and change to the smallest possible diameter rear tire you can find. Use Irridium spark plugs, low restriction air filter, remove any unnecessary items(stuff that only shines but doesn't perform a function, centerstand and anything in the trunks)on your bike to save weight, cut down your windshield to reduce drag and lose some weight yourself.

For major performance improvements you can consider EFI and turbocharging or a mechanicalblower and there's always nitrous oxide for that extra kick in the pants, but, it only lasts for a few seconds per refill. Reground camshafts can also make a dramatic change, but, typically they just move the horsepower up or down the rpm range for a different feel and you really have to be careful about choosing a cam profile because it may be a major disapointment if chosen incorrectly.

I am currently working on a DIY fuel injection system for 4 cylinder Wing, but, may also consider a system for the six cylinderdown the road if there proves to be a demand for them.

Vic

·
Premium Member
11,739 Posts
imported post

If you want something faster ,go get a sports bike ,,the wing is a touring bike with more than enough power for all situations ,,If you think you dont have enough power buy an 1800 or a fireblade ,,,Ciaran:waving:

·
Premium Member
1,028 Posts
imported post

I personally think the gl1500 need more attention in the stopping department, than in the extra oomph area. I'm considering upgrading my brakes with braided lines. The stock brakes just can't cope with the power thats' already there, so instead of trying to improve the power I'm doing nothing until I get better brakes.

·
Premium Member
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

I like to tour with some ZIP!

As I said I like my bike and don't want to spend the money buying an 1800.

I woudn't mind changing cams if it would help.

:gunhead:

G

·
0 Posts
imported post

Hey jeepster09, :waving:Your very welcome to the board. :clapper:As some of the previous members have stated the :18red::15grey:are touring motorcycles and are not really suitable for fast riding, :crying:and as Jason has rightfully stated, the :15blue:dont have the best braking system on the market. :whip:So looking for more Zip out of the :15magenta:is not a great idea. :crying:But if you want to play hard thenbuy a nice little R1 as a second bike like I have, :baffled:and she will give you all the Zip you require when needed. :jumper:But dont mess around with the power on your :15red:.

:coollep: :18red: :coollep:

·
Premium Member
324 Posts
imported post

There was a "trigger wheel" a few years ago that you could fit on the 1500. It replaced the stock one that fitted on the front of the crankshaft (under the timing belts cover) and was reckoned to be a cheap way of boosting performance on the 1500. That might help.

·
Senior Guru
2,234 Posts
imported post

Wexman states; If you want something faster ,go get a sports bike ,,the wing is a touring bike with more than enough power for all situations ,,If you think you dont have enough power buy an 1800 or a fireblade ,,,Ciaran:waving:

I have an 1100 cc Suzuki sport bike but it is no where near as enjoyable to ride as my 84 Aspencade, but, the Gold Wing in comparison to the Suzuki is a little sluggish for my preference. I have tried the GL1800 Gold Wing, but, my wife and I prefer the feel and looks of the 84 Gold Wing that I have rebuilt and customized. The first things I did on this bike was to improve safety, handlingand braking functions, then I improved the charging system and now I am improving the performance. When I am finished working with this bike I will know it intimately and I will be able to repair it easilyfor low dollars and I should easily be able to passany stock GL1800 on the straightaways. Not bad for a 20 year old motorcycle that I can sell for what I have into it any time I want to. Try doing that with a GL1800.

I enjoy making things better and spending time wrenching and improvingbut it would be very difficult to make the GL1800 better without spending a fortune on an already very expensive motorcycle.

So, in this case, I have to disagree with your theory of the Gold Wing just being a touring bike, from my experience it has been proven to be a very high performing motorcycle that also happens to be very comfortable for touring duty.

But, to each his own, Ciaran.

Vic, G.W.R.R.A., Ontario, Canada Classic Wings SIG representative

·
Premium Member
720 Posts
imported post

I found this great link on the links page;

http://www.goldwingracingproject.info/

Shows just what can be done with a Goldwing.

The older Wings are most likely more customizeable than the gl1500 or gl1800. Once a bike gets factory fitted FI etc it becomes a nightmare for the enthusiast to get to grips with improving the bike further. Just my ywo cents...

·
Premium Member
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
imported post

Some interesting responses, yet no ideas to hop it up. Again I already have 4 degree advaced trigger wheel and Cobra exhaust. This bike is carburated. I am willing to do whatever I need to do. Come on folks ...put on your thinking caps. AGAIN I love my 1500 Wing and beleave it can tour and boogie!

I dont want two bikes either..just my wing.:cheeky1:

·
Other side of the pond
3,409 Posts
imported post

There's only so much you can do with the 1500. I'd like to know if the heads off a Valkyrie would fit straight on a 1500, as the Valk is some animal to go. I know one guy who removed his GL1500 air filter and had it gutted to accept a straight foam washable one. He left the mixture the same and this made the throttle response much more sprightly to say the least. That was two years ago and no adverse probelems or issues. Small things like that will make a difference, but I do agree that the brakes need attention to compensate.

·
Premium Member
407 Posts
imported post

Wellthe 1500 only has 2 carbs, my Valk has 6...do the math...:Dbut seriously it can't be too tough to graft in the valk bits if your really keen

6 into 6 into 6, gotta be better than 2 into 6 into 2 - but your gonna need a crystal ball for those braking distances. :D

BB

·
Other side of the pond
3,409 Posts
imported post

Good points Bart. I'd say the Valk carbs on their own would make a huge difference. Probably wouldn't even need the heads.
Why not try running the 1500 without an air filter for a few miles? You will notice a fair difference in response. If you like it then just do the foam filter job I described, it's a minimal amount of filtering to keep the crap out of the carbs.

·
Senior Guru
2,234 Posts
imported post

Jeepster09, are you actually reading these posts?

"Some interesting responses, yet no ideas to hop it up, " he say's.:X

I gave you several tips on how to increase performance and spent a considerable amount of time typing them out for you.

Maybe you want a simple idea like tying a heavy rope to a fast moving truck so that it launches you like a rocket from a standing start.

High performance does not come cheap or easily, it takes a lot of experience, cash and careful experimentation to make a big difference in power on a quality product like the Gold Wing.

You will not get that extra performance you desireif youdon't have the patience andabilityto read these posts carefully enough to follow instructions here or at any other quality sites, because the guys with the experience will simply avoid people who don't take the time necessary to fully read the replies posted to them.

Vic

·
Premium Member
1,028 Posts
imported post

The slim filter trick I've seen done and it does hasten the off-the-line time a bit. Re-jetting is an obvious way to go and cheap, it's just such a pain to whip out the carbs on a gl1500 and that puts me off (as well as the brakes). Each time you get it wrong it's a couple of hours stripping just to get the carbs out again. :?The Valk carbs/manifold won't fit the 1500, it's been tried.
That leaves FI, I'd be interested in going down this road soon. But after I sort my brakes. Going fast is easy, it's stopping that's the problem with this baby.

·
Senior Guru
2,234 Posts
imported post

Jason, I believe that I should have the EFI up and running on the 4 cylinder Wing in a few months and you will be welcome to any info that can help you to build your own EFI setup on your Wing when the time comes.

Vic

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.