Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For the longest time my 95-1500 has had a ticking from the left cylinder bank when cold. If I let it warm all the way up, no problem. If I did start riding too soon and heard the ticking, I would pull in the clutch and let it go back to idle and the ticking would go away and then I could accelerate again.
Yesterday after riding about 100 miles of interstate at 70+ the ticking was as loud as I ever heard it. I did get it back home OK.
There was no lack of power. The ticking is almost like a banging sound now. I should note that it does have 206K miles.
What should I be looking for to fix this?

·
Premium Member
3,566 Posts
Just a thought.....something you could check.

A friend of mine had a 2000 GL1500 with a ticking sound on the left bank (usually when the bike was cold). He was convinced it was a valve lifter clicking. Then one day when doing some other maintenance, he happened to notice the left exhaust manifold bolts were loose. He tightened them up and the clicking sound disappeared.....!

Check for anything else that could be loose in that area....!

·
Premium Member
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
A few of the exhaust bolts were loose. The slight ticking while cold stopped. However, the louder ticking like a lifter is still present when I take it for a ride.

·
Premium Member
469 Posts
, ,Just a thought, , ,

What oil are you using and when was it last changed? (Make sure it has no "friction modifiers)

Same question for the oil filter, , , ,

Most folks hear a "ticking" if a valve/lifter gets gummed up so I might consider throwing about 4-6 oz. of seafoam in the OIL, , then ride it for 350-400 miles and change the oil. See if the oil is dark black, , , or slightly brown. Black indicates a lot of sludge/crud in the crankcase. Slightly brown indicates a lesser amount of sludge/crud. If its Black or slightly brown, fill up with new oil, and another 4-6 oz. of seafoam in the oil, leave the oil filter unchanged this time. Another 350-400 miles and do it all again, , until the oil removed is a "golden amber" color. Your "ticking" should pretty much be gone after the first "seafoam" treatment, but continue until you get the majority of the sludge out. Once you see the oil coming out is golden amber, NEW OIL AGAIN, NEW OIL FILTER, but NO seafoam this time. It'll be good to go for 3k-5k without an oil change and your "ticking" will be a thing of the past. (crossing my fingers for ya)

·
Premium Member
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks BLUTHUNDR31. I will start on this procedure tomorrow. I will get back to you after I rack up those miles.

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
59,311 Posts
, ,Just a thought, , ,

What oil are you using and when was it last changed? (Make sure it has no "friction modifiers)

Most folks hear a "ticking" if a valve/lifter gets gummed up so I might consider throwing about 4-6 oz. of seafoam in the OIL, , then ride it for 350-400 miles and change the oil. See if the oil is dark black, , , or slightly brown. Black indicates a lot of sludge/crud in the crankcase. Slightly brown indicates a lesser amount of sludge/crud. If its Black or slightly brown, fill up with new oil, and another 4-6 oz. of seafoam in the oil, leave the oil filter unchanged this time. Another 350-400 miles and do it all again, , until the oil removed is a "golden amber" color. Your "ticking" should pretty much be gone after the first "seafoam" treatment, but continue until you get the majority of the sludge out. Once you see the oil coming out is golden amber, NEW OIL AGAIN, NEW OIL FILTER, but NO seafoam this time. It'll be good to go for 3k-5k without an oil change and your "ticking" will be a thing of the past. (crossing my fingers for ya)
What this is doing, is removing all of the shellac in the valve lifters, so they can pump up where they belong, and stop the clicking,

·
Premium Member
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Also, to your question about oil. I use Honda brand oil and K&N filters.

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
59,311 Posts
Personal Opinion,
but K&N AIR filters are dead last in filtration efficiency.
Proven by every test that has been published.

I have bought 3 bikes with a K&N air filter, and I threw every one of them in the trash,
bought a new OEM Honda air filter . They will last a minimum of 50,000 miles, so why take a chance on K&N??

·
Registered
757 Posts
+1 on the OEM air filter lasting - when I got the 1500 with 44K miles I had enough of the tupperware off to check the air filter.

It had evidently been visited by Mr. Mouse at some point in time as there were a few remnants of nuts and berries, but the filter was basically still clean. So I picked out the detritus and put it back in the bike.

A little screening over the air intake horn is effective at keeping Mr. Mouse out.

I've seen pictures where you could see a whole family of mices was living in there....:ROFL:

·
Premium Member
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
AZgl1800 I will pay attention to the comment on K&N filters and will be switching to Honda. Do you actually reuse the Honda filter over and over with oil changes?

·
Registered
757 Posts
If it's a low-mileage oil change just because it's "time", it's not necessary to change filter, too. Just leave it 'til next time. If changing oil due to miles, best to spin on a new filter, too.

Reactions: AZgl1800

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
59,311 Posts
If it's a low-mileage oil change just because it's "time", it's not necessary to change filter, too. Just leave it 'til next time. If changing oil due to miles, best to spin on a new filter, too.
what he said.

My son's pickup is a diesel. He changes the oil filter about twice in between actual oil changes. But, his oil changes are extended compared to our motorcycles. He also uses only pure synthetics...

my car is now going on 18 months since the last oil change,
  • Mobil-1 0w20
  • Current miles 99,060
  • last change: 88,603 on 1/23/2018
so, about 11,000 miles on the oil.

last oil sample sent to Blackstone Labs with 16,000 miles on oil, said that "all is good, if I want to run 16,000 again, it will be fine". that particular oil run was on Valvoline 0w20 pure synthetic.

·
Administrator
25,790 Posts
AZgl1800 I will pay attention to the comment on K&N filters and will be switching to Honda. Do you actually reuse the Honda filter over and over with oil changes?
I believe there is some confusion here, AZ is talking about K&N air filters, not oil filters. I totally agree with him on the air filter.

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
59,311 Posts
I believe there is some confusion here, AZ is talking about K&N air filters, not oil filters. I totally agree with him on the air filter.
I went back and edited my post, to make it ultra clear, that K&N air filters are junk IMO, and at the very least, they have the worst record in the industry for Filtration Efficiency.

and here is a review from a Mechanical Engineer, he puts K&N dead last, and with Flow Rate is just barely a slight bit better than the OEM air filters.

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/air-filtration-test/

this from a forum:
https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/4426458/re-k-n-air-filter#Post4426458

·
Premium Member
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
, ,Just a thought, , ,

I did the Seafoam treatment and am ready for the second oil change. I am pleased to report that valve ticking is gone even on startup which was always present before. Many thanks for the advice given.

·
Premium Member
469 Posts
Glad to hear the good results, , , Thanks for updating this issue for us.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts